Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a good question. Same with the Steam Packet - why on earth are both the Ben and Mannanan running?

Must be to bring in all these non Manx vehicles I keep seeing, today I saw a Dutch reg car and a Czechoslovakian reg van amidst all the UK stuff.

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

Must be to bring in all these non Manx vehicles I keep seeing, today I saw a Dutch reg car and a Czechoslovakian reg van amidst all the UK stuff.

Saw the police at Braddan bridge over weekend pulling in UK reg cars to check why they’re here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

LCY is stopping, 12 September. Announced weeks ago. No other airline has stepped in.

Ive been booked on a mid December theatre and shopping weekend since January. BA haven’t confirmed cancellation. I phoned them as I wanted my money back. Yes it’s cancelled. No they wouldn’t refund me there and then. They’re working through in date order and will contact me in due course. I assume that’s to massage cash flow.

The nice lady said I was provisionally rerouted via Aer Lingus Regional to Dublin with a 6 hour stop over outbound and a 9 hour stop over return ( with a 06.30 departure on my return - which would mean getting up at 04.00 ). That’s just not acceptable. 

I notice, this week,  that Aer Arran/Aer Lingus Regional are no longer shown as  flying IoM DUB those dates. I was due in Dublin the week before the London trip, and now the only way of getting there is via EZY to Liverpool and then Ryanair. With an overnight.

Wrong

Loganair is doing London City in its own name, book directly with them

We’re paying for flights to Lavan in Iran?

Actually yes. Rodan’s off there to spread the word of our great democratic institutions. 

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Wrong

Loganair is doing London City in its own name, book directly with them

I haven’t checked the website (CBA) but I’m told that the Loganair ‘in their own name’ LCY flights don’t operate after 30/10.

Edited to add - Apologies; I see that John Wright has already proffered that info.

Edited by Uhtred

notice, this week,  that Aer Arran/Aer Lingus Regional are no longer shown as  flying IoM DUB those dates. I was due in Dublin the week before the London trip, and now the only way of getting there is via EZY to Liverpool and then Ryanair. With an overnight.

Someone I know, Manchester based, who is involved in aviation insurance, told me over a month ago that there may well be quite a considerable contraction of Aer Lingus regional services, including the potential cessation of the IOM route. I took that with a pinch of salt as it didn’t seem likely to me that the route would be wound up completely, but who knows?

10 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Someone I know, Manchester based, who is involved in aviation insurance, told me over a month ago that there may well be quite a considerable contraction of Aer Lingus regional services, including the potential cessation of the IOM route. I took that with a pinch of salt as it didn’t seem likely to me that the route would be wound up completely, but who knows?

There were issues with the Stobart ( formerly Aer Arran ) agreement with Aer Lingus over the Aer Lingus Regional franchise back in February, March, April when Connect went belly up.

The buy back by Stobart Group, on 27 April, seems to have stabilised things. Aer Lingus Regional is back at BHD introducing routes to 5 UK airports in a phased operation from early September.

Maybe they’re just late putting up the IOM DUB winter timetables. 

• Thanks 1

Saddo that I am I just checked on both BA and Aer Lingus web sites.

BA is still showing my flights to LCY via Aer Lingus Regional to DUB but the Aer Lingus site says no flights IOM DUB on those dates.

Its very difficult to plan and book. 

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

Saddo that I am I just checked on both BA and Aer Lingus web sites.

BA is still showing my flights to LCY via Aer Lingus Regional to DUB but the Aer Lingus site says no flights IOM DUB on those dates.

Its very difficult to plan and book. 

Yes difficult to plan anything as maybe very few routes out of Iom, the Bristol was a good connection route to save going via London.

I see Martyn Perkins has been on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece pleading for local pilots to be given jobs over overseas pilots. I wasn’t aware that Garff (which includes part of Onchan) has a high percentage of ex Flybe Pilots living within the constituency. I thought it odd that the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece thought it worthy of a news article. Is Martyn Perkins the patron saint of airline pilots. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard on people being out of work and I do have sympathy. As there will be many redundancies in many sectors, are individual MHKs now looking within their constituency and demographics? For example, if any of the engineering factories - those involved in the aerospace cluster, make redundancies, are we going to have MHKs pleading that certain people in society are worth more than others. Next we will have the Islands Chamber of Commerce asking that employers prioritise local people over imported labour.

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see Martyn Perkins has been on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece pleading for local pilots to be given jobs over overseas pilots. I wasn’t aware that Garff (which includes part of Onchan) has a high percentage of ex Flybe Pilots living within the constituency. I thought it odd that the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece thought it worthy of a news article. Is Martyn Perkins the patron saint of airline pilots. 

I've just listened to that and it's exactly as stupid as you would expect it to be, which is to say: very.  Perkins clearly has no idea not just of how the airline business operates but of how any sizeable business operates.  It's slightly terrifying that he's allowed out in public. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've just listened to that and it's exactly as stupid as you would expect it to be, which is to say: very.  Perkins clearly has no idea not just of how the airline business operates but of how any sizeable business operates.  It's slightly terrifying that he's allowed out in public. 

Like I posted before, it’s a matter of time before the engineering works on the island, could be affected especially as the airlines are declining and many are getting rid of their stock. Could this affect the IOM? Yes it could, and of course I hope it doesn’t. What plans do our elected idiots have? What ideas have the wannabe MHKs for Douglas South have should there be large scale redundancies, and have they any bright ideas as to generating proper well paid jobs?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Like I posted before, it’s a matter of time before the engineering works on the island, could be affected especially as the airlines are declining and many are getting rid of their stock. Could this affect the IOM? Yes it could, and of course I hope it doesn’t. What plans do our elected idiots have? What ideas have the wannabe MHKs for Douglas South have should there be large scale redundancies, and have they any bright ideas as to generating proper well paid jobs?

Does anyone , anywhere, anyhow, have any idea of how to create new jobs when many lose theirs ?

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, he’s made a total prick of himself. He seems to think that a plane is like a rental car, and you just jump in and drive. No idea about the concept of type ratings, conversion courses and simulator costs which would be involved, as Flybe operated different planes to Loganair or Stobart.