Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

19 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Perhaps when you've run an airline you might give us the benefit of your clearly limited and myopic opinion.

If he had run an airline during a pandemic or post pandemic it might be worthwhile exercise. 

The industry has changed dramatically since his time. 

It's like taking an electric car to a motor mechanic !

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

I'd like to hear about these benefits to see if they can outweigh the substantial costs involved, the high ticket prices and the inevitable large sums of money going down the drain as the empire grows. 

Some of benefits are:

1) Having a service that runs at times best suited to the needs of the Island, rather than solely the operator. 

2) Having a service that puts the Island first and will not divert resources to assets to cover shortfalls elsewhere in an airline's network. 

3) Creating local jobs with wages spent in the local economy and taxes paid to IOMG.

4) Being an advertisement for the Island, encouraging investment through connectivity and guaranteed continuity of services.

What value does such things have? I don't know, but its not insignificant. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, snowman said:

If he had run an airline during a pandemic or post pandemic it might be worthwhile exercise. 

The industry has changed dramatically since his time. 

It's like taking an electric car to a motor mechanic !

No, he is very well respected and his counsel is sought by many, not just on the IOM. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Some of benefits are:

1) Having a service that runs at times best suited to the needs of the Island, rather than solely the operator. 

2) Having a service that puts the Island first and will not divert resources to assets to cover shortfalls elsewhere in an airline's network. 

3) Creating local jobs with wages spent in the local economy and taxes paid to IOMG.

4) Being an advertisement for the Island, encouraging investment through connectivity and guaranteed continuity of services.

What value does such things have? I don't know, but its not insignificant. 

We haven't had all those for the past few years and it's been great, the best time for travel on and off the island in it's history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure most of us on here remember when in Liddiard’s era, a flight to Scotland was almost £400 return. I knew someone who, in their 70’s worked bloody hard to save for a trip each NewYear. Liddiard probably earned about 5 times her hourly rate. 
It may be obvious that I have never rated him. 

• Sad 1

The borders situation changes weekly because the ongoing UK shitshow changes weekly. It's almost as though we're in a global pandemic which doesn't nearly tell you two months in advance what it's going to do.

The patient transfer contract needs to be tendered properly, but that will wait till things settle down. Loganair got it in Marcglh because nobody else could step in when Flybe went tits up and Covid has happened since, which changes everything.

Let's see which airlines survive Covid, I suppose.

I'm sure EasyJet will be back when the borders ease off, and it'll be good when they are. Competition helps us all.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

We haven't had all those for the past few years and it's been great, the best time for travel on and off the island in it's history.

By and large you have had the first 3 in one form and another up to now.

You appear to put price above all else and are happy to arrive late as long as it is cheap.

I try to avoid them as much as possible from the IOM but I have never had a flight to or from LGW with EZY that arrived on time

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lxxx said:

I disagree - less flights at more inconvenient times. You also fail to acknowledge the positive benefit to the IOM economy and by having another large employer here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

The borders situation changes weekly because the ongoing UK shitshow changes weekly. It's almost as though we're in a global pandemic which doesn't nearly tell you two months in advance what it's going to do.

The patient transfer contract needs to be tendered properly, but that will wait till things settle down. Loganair got it in Marcglh because nobody else could step in when Flybe went tits up and Covid has happened since, which changes everything.

Let's see which airlines survive Covid, I suppose.

I'm sure EasyJet will be back when the borders ease off, and it'll be good when they are. Competition helps us all.

Loganair have just been handed a 5 year contracted for PTS.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I disagree - less flights at more inconvenient times. You also fail to acknowledge the positive benefit to the IOM economy and by having another large employer here.

When Flybe had a base here it was definitely better for the island, much less subject to last minute alterations. EZY were cheap but the Liverpool rotations were always easy to bin off when planes were running late. French ATC strikes shouldn't be affecting us here.

I don't think an Aurigny-style state airline would help us, but encouraging an airline to put a base here really would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

When Flybe had a base here it was definitely better for the island, much less subject to last minute alterations. EZY were cheap but the Liverpool rotations were always easy to bin off when planes were running late. French ATC strikes shouldn't be affecting us here.

I don't think an Aurigny-style state airline would help us, but encouraging an airline to put a base here really would.

Having an airline with a fully constituted base here is good. What would make it even better would be a commitment to a certain level of service by the airline, perhaps in return for  exclusivity on certain routes or government financial support. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

I don't doubt you, but do you have a link for that, as nothing is shown anywhere to suggest the temporary arrangement was finalised?

I wouldn't know where to look to find it if I'm honest. I just happen to know.

Originally PTS via Flybe was dealt with via Mann Link Travel. Mann Link have now been cut out of the process and the tender was for a 5 year arrangement. I recall there being some quirky clauses in the tender such as aircraft types eligible and that it had to be operated solely for PTS I.e. no ticket sales on those flights which really limited the number of operators who could bid for it, but ultimately it has been awarded to Loganair.

Edited by jaymann