Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

13 hours ago, IOM said:

Glad to see some posts are a little more positive about the London Heathrow route now ! The island needs strong links to the capital with a strong onward set of connections this will be really valuable in the future if it can be maintained. 

That I agree and I saw yesterday that Hinkles from Loganair said more airline partners to be announced before Christmas.

But what I can't agree with is the massive subsidy that IOM PLC are refusing to disclose. BA dropped the London route because they couldn't get subsidy going forward, yet Loganair have been able to attain this one.

9 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

That I agree and I saw yesterday that Hinkles from Loganair said more airline partners to be announced before Christmas.

But what I can't agree with is the massive subsidy that IOM PLC are refusing to disclose. BA dropped the London route because they couldn't get subsidy going forward, yet Loganair have been able to attain this one.

I don’t know the specific details but perhaps BA only wanted to operate IOM to London rather than creating a hub serving Liverpool, Manchester and London together which is what Loganair will do . It means they can interchange crew and planes by route . Maybe in future it might include Birmingham as well . If that proves to be the case then the investment now may well be worthwhile . 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

...........and for all the easyjet fanboys out there: from next year carry-on bags size goes from 56x45x25cms to 45x36x20 cms.  Low-cost (ha!) airlines - don't you just luv'em!

It actually shows that they don't expect things to get back to normal quickly.  The previous, very generous, size was to encourage people not to check in hold baggage, so that easyJet could speed up turnaround times and so get more sectors into the day.  Now they think they will continue to have spare capacity in terms of planes etc, so they might as well make money off hold baggage and slow things down.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It actually shows that they don't expect things to get back to normal quickly.  The previous, very generous, size was to encourage people not to check in hold baggage, so that easyJet could speed up turnaround times and so get more sectors into the day.  Now they think they will continue to have spare capacity in terms of planes etc, so they might as well make money off hold baggage and slow things down.  

That was the aim, but so many took the largest size they had to put lots in the hold.

effectively it’s a give free overhead locker space to premium seat purchasers and easyJet plus card holders.

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That was the aim, but so many took the largest size they had to put lots in the hold.

effectively it’s a give free overhead locker space to premium seat purchasers and easyJet plus card holders.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they actually enforce this, Flybe took a lot of flak when they introduced, albeit very badly and inconsistently, a bigger free hand luggage allowance (10cm larger height).

I almost feel sorry for the ground staff that will have to deal with this at the gate.

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but they put up that situation for quite a few years without reducing the maximum size, so there's clearly something that has changed for them to reconcile themselves to the longer turnaround.  Once that's done they'll clearly try to maximise revenue from the new situation, either through baggage charges or flogging more premium seats and memberships.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, but they put up that situation for quite a few years without reducing the maximum size, so there's clearly something that has changed for them to reconcile themselves to the longer turnaround.  Once that's done they'll clearly try to maximise revenue from the new situation, either through baggage charges or flogging more premium seats and memberships.

They’re matching the competition. And Flybe bags were small, so are Ryanair.

Its not exclusive to EZYor even EZY Manx routes. 

I theoretically get extra cabin and hold allowances with the wheelchair, I don’t use,  but I sit there watching people trying to stuff oversized bags, and clothes, into the lockers, and the crew juggling. I actually travel light, because we keep clothes and duplicates of all necessaries in Spain.

They’ve tried the £5 to put in the hold trick, and it hasn’t worked.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

They’re matching the competition. And Flybe bags were small, so are Ryanair.

Its not exclusive to EZYor even EZY Manx routes. 

I theoretically get extra cabin and hold allowances with the wheelchair, I don’t use,  but I sit there watching people trying to stuff oversized bags, and clothes, into the lockers, and the crew juggling. I actually travel light, because we keep clothes and duplicates of all necessaries in Spain.

They’ve tried the £5 to put in the hold trick, and it hasn’t worked.

It is a smaller bag than Flybe were and that used to cause all sorts of histrionics at the departure gate and on social media after.

If people here do not follow the rules, and from my experience over the years they tend not to, it will slow down boarding even more as they argue and argue and then have to eventually pay.

Hopefully on all the main destinations there will be an alternative going forward.

bad move from easyjet. puts them in the same category as wizzair and ryanair.

entirely predictable though since it generates revenue.

however not having the option to increase cabin baggage allowance by paying is wierd since there will potentially be alot of empty lockers

Edited by snowman

14 minutes ago, snowman said:

bad move from easyjet. puts them in the same category as wizzair and ryanair.

entirely predictable though since it generates revenue.

however not having the option to increase cabin baggage allowance by paying is wierd since there will potentially be alot of empty lockers

They are only letting the up front priority lot get the carry on bags properly. Bit silly because they're the front say 10 rows, but their bags could be all the way at the back..

Speaking of Ryanair:
A man is alone in an airport lounge. A beautiful woman walks in and sits down at the table next to him.

He decides, because she's wearing a uniform, she's probably an off-duty stewardess.

So he decides to have a go at picking her up by identifying the airline she flies for, thereby impressing her greatly.

He leans across to her and says the British Airways motto : 'To Fly. To Serve'.

The woman looks at him blankly. He sits back and thinks up another line.

He leans forward again and delivers the Air France motto: 'Winning the hearts of the world'.

Again she just stares at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face.

Undeterred, he tries a third time, this time saying the Malaysian Airlines motto: 'Going beyond expectations'.

The woman looks at him sternly and says: 'What the fuck do you want?'

'Ah ha!' he says,

"Ryanair".

• Like 1

The low-cost airline business model doesn't work for us. The low-cost carrier says to an airport "we'll pay you half your usual landing fee, but we'll bring you loads of extra passengers, who you can fleece on parking and charges etc". Hence airports charging £7 an hour to park, and £2.50 just to drop off. £10 to jump the security queue etc. Except our airport can't fleece our passengers on parking etc because we just won't pay it. Ballasalla would be full, and the car park empty. Same with shops and cafe's - we don't arrive at the airport 3 hours early looking for food and perfume and giant Toblerones. So our airports options for making the money back aren't there. So the "low-cost" carrier pay us half what other carriers do/did, and revenue actually falls. They take passengers from other carriers but don't actually bring any new business, so no benefit there. Not only that, they make demands on the airport - exclusive lounge, extra baggage scanners and the staff to run them, extra deep concrete apron, etc etc. So costs rise as revenue falls. Not only that, low cost carriers like to fill a big plane, once a day, maybe only  a few days per week, at a time that suits them. That's a lot less convenient for us than the 4 or 5 flights a day we used to have to Liverpool. But hey! Cheap flights! Except as soon as there's no competition, they're not cheap any more... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1