Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

7 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

.........says the NUMBER ONE easyjet fanboy!

I was a fan of Easyjet on the island yes. Being able to get to London and back for under £100 was ridiculously good value, as evidenced by the fact the planes were full most days. Granted we had the shitty end of the stick in terms of flight times but we're a tiny market for them, we got what we could.

To gloat that Easyjet are now having to alter their business model just so they can try and stay afloat, after I assume nearly going bust, is a bit low. As always, it's the consumer who will beat the brunt, for every class of airline moving forwards.

11 hours ago, NoTailT said:

That I agree and I saw yesterday that Hinkles from Loganair said more airline partners to be announced before Christmas.

But what I can't agree with is the massive subsidy that IOM PLC are refusing to disclose. BA dropped the London route because they couldn't get subsidy going forward, yet Loganair have been able to attain this one.

BA weren't operating the London route, though- Loganair were. Yes, it had a BA flight number but it was a Loganair plane and crew, and had been for a long time.

As for Easyjet, a predictable move given the likes of Ryanair and WizzAir did the same thing pre-Covid. It's where the whole low cost thing falls down, people get wise and work around the silly rules, so they have to race to the bottom. Forcing people to take bags in the cabin when the plane has a perfectly good hold was always stupid.

Easyjet never were that cheap, either. £25 for a baby to sit on your knee? Hmm. But the headline fares looked good, and because they call themselves low cost people assumed they were cheap.

At least Flybe and Stobart have the excuse that the overhead lockers on a turbo prop don't fit normal-sized rollerbags.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It actually shows that they don't expect things to get back to normal quickly.  The previous, very generous, size was to encourage people not to check in hold baggage, so that easyJet could speed up turnaround times and so get more sectors into the day.  Now they think they will continue to have spare capacity in terms of planes etc, so they might as well make money off hold baggage and slow things down.  

I dont think timing has much to do with it.  You can check in for Easyjet flights in plenty of time with a hold bags. Holds nothing up.

It is simply a chance to claw some cash back.  And as a very regular easyjet user I would welcome more room in the overheads.  You get a lot of pisstakers on the overhead locker use.    It'll help sort some chaff out.

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I dont think timing has much to do with it.  You can check in for Easyjet flights in plenty of time with a hold bags. Holds nothing up.

It is simply a chance to claw some cash back.  And as a very regular easyjet user I would welcome more room in the overheads.  You get a lot of pisstakers on the overhead locker use.    It'll help sort some chaff out.

TBH, we can’t blame them.

10 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I was a fan of Easyjet on the island yes. Being able to get to London and back for under £100 was ridiculously good value, as evidenced by the fact the planes were full most days. Granted we had the shitty end of the stick in terms of flight times but we're a tiny market for them, we got what we could.

To gloat that Easyjet are now having to alter their business model just so they can try and stay afloat, after I assume nearly going bust, is a bit low. As always, it's the consumer who will beat the brunt, for every class of airline moving forwards.

Yawn! 

• 2 weeks later...

£3.3m paid to Logan Air for air routes since March , not sure what subsidy per passenger is but it’s a lot!!

Between March and November this year, £3,381,352 of taxpayers’ money was set aside to underwrite the island’s air routes. 

The government has been paying Scottish airline Loganair to ensure vital air links are continued for patient transfers and key workers granted a travel exemption. In response to the question from Liberal Vannin leader Lawrie Hooper MHK, DoI Minister Tim Baker said of the total underwrite offered ‘the total actually paid in supporting the island’s air routes was £3,298,265’.

There were an awful lot of emergency vehicles at the airport before, normal fire engines rather than the airport ones on the apron and a bunch of police.

Also, what time does the airport shut cos it sure sounded like there was a plane landed at midnight last night.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There were an awful lot of emergency vehicles at the airport before, normal fire engines rather than the airport ones on the apron and a bunch of police.

Also, what time does the airport shut cos it sure sounded like there was a plane landed at midnight last night.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59600&headline=Fire service called to struggling aircraft&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Emergency patient transfer plane can take off and land as it pleases, outside of operating hours.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Jesus Christ. An insane and obscene amount of cash.

Is it though? Really?

I know you hate the DOI and the airport management, but I'd say £375k a month was pretty reasonable in the circumstances. It's about what the Scottish government pay for the Tiree, Barra and Campbeltown PSO flights. 

Aurigny burned through, what, ten times that?

Apart from the patient transfer flights, you're lucky to get passenger loads into double figures.

• 3 weeks later...