Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

Do most of the places we use across have a landing pad? No! So where are they going to land?  

What has been the demand outside Ronaldsway ATC opening hours. Are most emergency patient transfers a&e casualties from a community event, or from patients who have been previously admitted and deteriorated.

4 hours ago, Hillside said:

I think this would require the pad(s) at the hospital to become licensed, this in itself may be costly and require additional legislation and facilities.

Works everywhere else. I actually think they already are, as they are used for sustained ops during TT and MGP

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

H145 is the right aircraft for the job. Wales and Devon use them so determining the annual budget would be a phone call. If it was the Air ambulance would we need a back up - a Fleet of 2 with a back up crew. What if we contacted Wales to do it?

Worst case coastguard can infil. 

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Helicopters can operate in much lower visibility than fixed wing aircraft, visual flight rules for a helo means clear of cloud and in sight of the surface, for a fixed wing aircraft minimum in flight visibilities are required depending upon the classification of the airspace being flown in. Operating from the hospital would be done under VFR rules, so, if there was a fog which prevented fixed wing aircraft landing at the airport, a helicopter may well be able to at either the airport or the hospital.

I'm less certain of helicopter wind limitations - although as they don't need a runway, they could potentially always take off and land into wind which is normally the limiting factor for fixed wing aircraft.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Don't forget the pads at the hospital are in a dip and designed to be more sheltered from the wind with banked verges surrounding them.

Which will cause more operational difficulties due to low level turbulence and windshear when it's very windy. The laminar flow of wind over flat terrain is the ideal operating environment for all types aircraft.

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Which will cause more operational difficulties due to low level turbulence and windshear when it's very windy. The laminar flow of wind over flat terrain is the ideal operating environment for all types aircraft.

What about the top floor of the M&S car park in town? It was build with the idea of landing helicopters on there in the event of an emergency.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:28 PM, madmanxpilot said:

Not so sure about that - air ambulances don't need to use licensed fields as far as I know. They certainly don't when they are attending incidents....

I think that formalising the arrangement and making it regular is what would trigger a need to make it a licensed operation. The subtle difference is that rescue operations are in effect CAT A flights. Patient transfers are seldom of that level of seriousness and would therefore be classified as purer public transport, hence the need for the dreaded licensing regulation.