Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

51 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Latest set of Easyjet cuts announced too. Had some flights cancelled in October where there were 2 flights a day to Liverpool down to 1 now.

Not surprised. They probably saw yesterday's proclamations by Ashy, PK & their motley border crew. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

There seems to be a rumour circulating about the airport and private enterprise. A lot of what, I am led to believe, are unnecessary and costly works are being undertaken, which wouldn't surprise me were a precursor to it being sold for a quid ! Another operation run appalling badly.

If you mean Stobart - yes - £1 is what the deal was agreed at. However, an awful lot of liabilities come with that.

12 minutes ago, asitis said:

There seems to be a rumour circulating about the airport and private enterprise. A lot of what, I am led to believe, are unnecessary and costly works are being undertaken, which wouldn't surprise me were a precursor to it being sold for a quid ! Another operation run appalling badly.

If true, the airport strategy would be the complete opposite to the sea terminal strategy

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Perhaps someone has pointed out to Mr Scales that it's always been easy to make a small fortune in the airline business.

You just need to start off with a big one.

Exactly what I said further up the blog. You don't become a serial entrepreneur unless you've got deep pockets or use someone else's money. Serial my arse.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, snowman said:

If true, the airport strategy would be the complete opposite to the sea terminal strategy

I think it always has been, on the one hand we must ensure the survival of a shipping company for the island by every protectionist measure possible as it doesn't work to split our needs amongst operators they all go pop ! or .... open skies. Knowing the costs of aviation and how we have a very limited market size it should come as no surprise that operators struggle. I don't see the incentive for anyone to invest heavily in the IOM knowing that their operation could be undermined at any time by anyone who seeks to undercut them. Now I know there are lots of supporters of open skies but in reality where has it got us ? A constant merry go round of operators all scrabbling to pick over what traffic we can provide and the only real incentive is to grab the health contract from government. We have had no strategic thinking at all in respect of air transport for years, covid has cost millions and we are some way away from being able to say we have guaranteed services to anywhere ! I hope the new airport director knows something about aviation.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

I think it always has been, on the one hand we must ensure the survival of a shipping company for the island by every protectionist measure possible as it doesn't work to split our needs amongst operators they all go pop ! or .... open skies. Knowing the costs of aviation and how we have a very limited market size it should come as no surprise that operators struggle. I don't see the incentive for anyone to invest heavily in the IOM knowing that their operation could be undermined at any time by anyone who seeks to undercut them. Now I know there are lots of supporters of open skies but in reality where has it got us ? A constant merry go round of operators all scrabbling to pick over what traffic we can provide and the only real incentive is to grab the health contract from government. We have had no strategic thinking at all in respect of air transport for years, covid has cost millions and we are some way away from being able to say we have guaranteed services to anywhere ! I hope the new airport director knows something about aviation.

Exactly on point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asitis said:

There’s a huge difference.

Sea routes.

Apart from two years in 1966/7 the Steam Packet was the sole operator from the 1920’s until 1978. For most of that time it was profitable. It was limited because IoMG didn’t invest in modern port facilities meaning it had to lift on lift off for freight and couldn’t use roro. Then along came Manx Line, and we all know what happened.

Air routes.

Ever since Ronaldsway opened and became ( in effect ) the only airport post WW2, both under open skies, and previously, there has been instability over operators. Open skies hasn’t made this worse. There hasn’t been a year, in the 50 I can remember, when an airline hasn’t arrived, and another left, or that there was speculation and rumour about who was to arrive/pull out. Or. The destinations on offer. BA, or it’s predecessor constituents, has come and gone 7 or 8 times since 1950.

We've always had the never ending merry go round.

We’ve had a few periods of stability, Manx Air Lines was a good example, where operators combined, stopped competing and over supply of seats and found an operating model that worked for non subsidised, under used, marginal, routes. Using IOM as a hub, centralising engineering here, etc. 

But that model wouldn’t work against the budgets in C21. And there we have the rub. How to square that circle. The perceived requirement for stability and continuity for a small number of business travellers who are setting off travel against tax or passing it on to clients, or the majority of leisure travellers who want the cheapest possible seats and would experience the additional costs and smaller planes as a discriminatory  imposition.

Personally I want both available. Frequent business flights to London City and cheap leisure flights to the London and regional leisure airports.

14 hours ago, snowman said:

From another forum:

Looks like Loganair have scrapped there plans to base a all ATR72 fleet from July. All flights now showing as being operated by either a ATR42 or ER4. 

More cuts on IOM routes

I thought the ATR72s they originally wanted (ex Flybe/SAS ones) were now going to Emerald Airlines in Ireland.

Maybe taking a while to source replacements or is Ettyl muddying the waters?

4 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I thought the ATR72s they originally wanted (ex Flybe/SAS ones) were now going to Emerald Airlines in Ireland.

I was told the owners of Loganair have applied pressure on management to offload all newer leased aircraft to kerb costs and that they won't be bailed out by the shareholders again.

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Latest set of Easyjet cuts announced too. Had some flights cancelled in October where there were 2 flights a day to Liverpool down to 1 now.

Well EasyJet have transferred more capacity to Jersey like most other airlines including Jet2 & BA where they are more welcome . Think BA have also launched new routes to Guernsey including London city.

We are going to be left with no connections soon other than the ones we subsidize unless the clowns get the borders open.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Lack of firm commitment to reopening from Quayle and Ashford. 

6 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I was told the owners of Loganair have applied pressure on management to offload all newer leased aircraft to kerb costs and that they won't be bailed out by the shareholders again.

Apart from 2 ATRs which are around 6 years old the rest of the fleet (excluding the Scottish gov contracted aircraft) is well over 20 years old so not much room to kerb costs there.