Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The only problem with an IoM LHR slot would be the knock on effect on LCY which is marginal, so lost seats sold would probably tip over to route closure.

Be careful what you wish for

I wish for better connections to elsewhere in the world without having to resort to lumping suitcases/baggage on the light rail/underground.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The only problem with an IoM LHR slot would be the knock on effect on LCY which is marginal, so lost seats sold would probably tip over to route closure.

Be careful what you wish for

Is it a badly needed route? 

Twenty years ago we paid over £300 ( £500+ at today’s rate) to get to Heathrow.  Would we pay those sort of prices now, and could we fill a 150+ seater aircraft three times daily ?  Unfortunately, the world changes.

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

Is it a badly needed route? 

Not if we have a good LHR substitute. Personally I prefer LCY but reality is that there's not much to choose between LCY and LGW for access to the bits of London I visit (I guess some finance folks might prefer LCY access to Docklands), and LHR is a better hub for the rest of the world than either of those.

If LCY is diplaced tho' the replacement needs to include slots for early morning into London and evening home so we can still do business day trips. Personally I don't see it, LHR slots are too valuable to waste on our little London business flights. Might be possible using Southend (Stobart's home airfield), but that's a whole hour to L'pool St vs. the 35 minute Gatwick Express to Victoria or the 45 minute DLR to Embankment / CharingX.

27 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Twenty years ago we paid over £300 ( £500+ at today’s rate) to get to Heathrow.  Would we pay those sort of prices now, and could we fill a 150+ seater aircraft three times daily ?  Unfortunately, the world changes.

The flybe GSY LHR is going to be 1 x 70 seats per day.

There still seems to be a view that having a Heathrow connection is a sign of national importance, especially for the Islands.

You can make connections to almost anywhere via LGW, LCY, MAN, DUB

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Not if we have a good LHR substitute. Personally I prefer LCY but reality is that there's not much to choose between LCY and LGW for access to the bits of London I visit (I guess some finance folks might prefer LCY access to Docklands), and LHR is a better hub for the rest of the world than either of those.

If LCY is diplaced tho' the replacement needs to include slots for early morning into London and evening home so we can still do business day trips. Personally I don't see it, LHR slots are too valuable to waste on our little London business flights. Might be possible using Southend (Stobart's home airfield), but that's a whole hour to L'pool St vs. the 35 minute Gatwick Express to Victoria or the 45 minute DLR to Embankment / CharingX.

A 7am - 7pm to Southend would work.

Gatwick isn't too bad as a day trip airport, the only issue is the flight times. The Thameslink to London Bridge is a great route into the centre; reliable, reasonably quick and arguably better to get to the Docklands/the City. If they left at 07:00-07:30 then it would work perfectly, however then you'd put LCY out of operation so their would no longer be any 'cheap' flights to Gatwick for the leisure passengers, as business and leisure would be sharing the same slots so they'd have a capacity issue.

• Like 1