Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

I wonder how much, if any, effort was made to address this issue by IOM Government prior to last night’s sad demise of Flybe.  It’s not like we didn’t see it coming, it was ‘when’ not ‘if’.  The Six Ps applies here ( Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!)

Everyone mourning the passing of Manx Airlines whilst forgetting that they sold out with the highly prized Heathrow slots with no regard for the effect on the IOM.  Commercially, it was a good move, and was probably prescient given the current state of the airline industry.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sir nige said:

was this the one that had fuel issues so couldn't take off?

The fuel issues were that it didn't have any fuel 'cos they couldn't afford to pay for it...? :lol:

ETA. I've now heard quotes twice on local coverage this morning to the effect that Ronaldsway landing charges are twice those charged elsewhere. Terry Liddiard made reference to this in his Manx Airlines days too. I wonder if there's an explanation other than the obvious?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

You probably could for not very much - 4 Dash 8s - job done.

It's been done to death but I'll say it again - the IOM Govt has been negligent for the past 20 years in not controlling air services, in a similar model to Aurigny in the Channel Islands, which are vital to all aspects of this Island's economy

But just heard on manx radio that aurgriny have consistently for last 5-6 years posted losses in region of £2m-£5m.

Who's picking up that tab?

Effectively taxpayer subsidised connectivity, but it maybe a price worth paying?

Not sure how true it is, but I was told earlier that the patient transfer gig is paid up several months in advance. So on top of unpaid landing fees, APD etc there might be a further hit to be taken. And of course, now there are many less rotations, there are less receipts on the budget bottom line. 

And what happens at Menzies and Noonans! I can’t see them hanging on to people to service just a few EZY and Loganair flights each day.

Maybe this will be a wake up call. Notwithstanding the considerable loss that Aurigny runs at, this morning it is looking like a reasonable expense. We need to start recognizing the lifeline that air and sea really are and stop spaffing money on things that are utterly meaningless in the real world. All the snazzy infrastructure and touristy stuff in the world is pointless if you can’t get here.

It will also hit business and attracting people to the Island hard. If you have limited transport, living here just becomes hard work. I turned down a very attractive job in Manchester last week which would have meant splitting time between there and the Island. It would have been completely unworkable today. 

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I turned down a very attractive job in Manchester last week which would have meant splitting time between there and the Island. It would have been completely unworkable today. 

Realistically, you having a part-time job in Manchester would be of no significant economic benefit to the island 

I would work in New York if were easier to get home at the weekends.

Edited by pongo

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Realistically, you having a part-time job in Manchester would be of no significant economic benefit to the island 

I would work in New York if were easier to get home at the weekends.

I wasn’t talking about economic benefit to the IOM. I was referring to the logistics of getting on and off to that airport for the foreseeable future

Patient transfer is the only aspect which is important. Obviously that needs a good solution. Quickly.

Apart from that this is, long term, a non issue. An unsustainable business has gone bust in a tough market. There is no longer term strategic or logistic issue.

Thank goodness no additional govt money has been wasted.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

Flybe ran the service from Anglesey to Cardiff twice per day, it is still running. Using Eastern aircraft.  Welsh government must have had foresight and done a deal overnight.  

As far as I can work out Eastern owned their own planes, so can carry on. Stobart transferred ownership of theirs to Flybe when they (and others) bought them out last year!

Someone on the radio asked why there was no contingency plan in place and that's a very good question. Place is deserted now, Flybe plane still sitting there unable to go anywhere. Sad.

ESWaBNXXsAA20yB.jpg

ESWZ_vUWoAEGnW7.jpg

ESWZ7lPWkAEz8ZR.jpg

ESWZ96UWkAEVOQw.jpg