Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

100% wrong. The island needs economically viable and sustainable services. easyJet is great.

If you need to be in London for an important early morning meeting - or if you've got a connecting flight to make - then fly down the day before. And if you are in the sort of old-fashioned business where you need a regular face-to-face then the IOM is probably the wrong place to be based anyhow. Nobody should be jetting around for meetings these days anyhow.

Travel is a total PITA. I refuse to travel to meetings with customers, we do it all with e-mail and SKYPE.

What flights there are should be reliable with good connections. When visiting my mother for 25 years or so it was always Zurich <=> London City <=> Ronaldsway or Zurich <=> Manchester <=> Ronaldsway. I was never let down once by FlyBe.

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

What flights there are should be reliable with good connections. 

If people want expensive to operate services outside of the normal economics then they should expect to pay a lot more for that. They certainly shouldn't expect tax payer subsidies or for some companies to be given anti competitive privileged access to routes.

I'm happy with cheaper flights at sometimes less convenient times but on aircraft I much prefer. So I'm very happy with easyJet. 

Also - Flybe were known as Fly-maybe for a very good reason.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Oh no. This is really, really bad. 

Another indicator as to how flaky money can be here. Even bank accounts get 35 grand less protection.

They did It deliberately when they had an operational base here. How to properly fuck over your staff by using non UK structures hey? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Travel is a total PITA. I refuse to travel to meetings with customers, we do it all with e-mail and SKYPE.

What flights there are should be reliable with good connections. When visiting my mother for 25 years or so it was always Zurich <=> London City <=> Ronaldsway or Zurich <=> Manchester <=> Ronaldsway. I was never let down once by FlyBe.

In my experience e-mail and video-con are fine for day to day stuff.

But face to face is the only way to build trust...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

Surely the actual issue would be not having enough money in the pot?

Well not really as few have full money in the pot. That’s the point of a bail out scheme. It’s there to bail out those who cant afford to meet payments due when insolvency hits. Unless it’s based in the IOM where people can legally just fuck off. You can imagine Flybe are grateful for all the services the IOM has provided. It’s got them off the hook for millions. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pongo said:

If people want expensive to operate services outside of the normal economics then they should expect to pay a lot more for that. They certainly shouldn't expect tax payer subsidies or for some companies to be given anti competitive privileged access to routes.

I'm happy with cheaper flights at sometimes less convenient times but on aircraft I much prefer. So I'm very happy with easyJet. 

Also - Flybe were known as Fly-maybe for a very good reason.

Yes, the reason being that they picked a daft name and in the age of hilarious banter on the internet the "Flymaybe" thing became a go-to shit remark for dullards.

They provided a mostly reliable service to the island and as a regular flier I rarely experienced any issues with them at all.  I'm pretty sure that you stood a much greater chance of a significant delay or a cancellation with Easyjet than with Flybe.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Oh no. This is really, really bad. 

Another indicator as to how flaky money can be here. Even bank accounts get 35 grand less protection.

Will it be regulated or protected in any way by the IOMFSA? The previous reg. bodies were the FSC and the Insurance and Pensions Authority... Just hope so.

6 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Will it be regulated or protected in any way by the IOMFSA? The previous reg. bodies were the FSC and the Insurance and Pensions Authority... Just hope so.

regulated and protected ??  in the isle of man  ???   wake up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1