Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

Pity about the Saab, the ATR is pants for London City, doesn't have the performance for the return leg I'm told !

Much more economical, and lack of hold luggage for many passengers mean that the performance isn't as poor as you'd expect - until you realise it's got about a 90/10 male female split on passengers :P It's rarely full though, with plenty of noshows. 

Just now, Manxberry said:

Much more economical, and lack of hold luggage for many passengers mean that the performance isn't as poor as you'd expect - until you realise it's got about a 90/10 male female split on passengers :P It's rarely full though, with plenty of noshows. 

Limited to 36pax out of LCY!

All of us opining on here about who and what is to blame for the IOM constant airline issues, need to accept one thing, and that is what we have been doing for the past thirty years has time and time again resulted in a situation not dissimilar to that we find ourselves in now, albeit the circumstances of this demise are slightly wider based.

We need strategically to do things differently to avoid this merry go round of operators, and you can bet your bottom dollar we will be owed lots of cash which will not be recoverable again!

Low cost airlines aren't going to sort the problem, we don't have the volumes.

I agree with the poster who said maybe we do have the expertise here to find a way forward but it sure as shit aint those we pay now !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, asitis said:

All of us opining on here about who and what is to blame for the IOM constant airline issues, need to accept one thing, and that is what we have been doing for the past thirty years has time and time again resulted in a situation not dissimilar to that we find ourselves in now, albeit the circumstances of this demise are slightly wider based.

We need strategically to do things differently to avoid this merry go round of operators, and you can bet your bottom dollar we will be owed lots of cash which will not be recoverable again!

Low cost airlines aren't going to sort the problem, we don't have the volumes.

I agree with the poster who said maybe we do have the expertise here to find a way forward but it sure as shit aint those we pay now !!

We can opine all we like, and criticise the past decisions.

Fact is there aren’t airlines queuing up to fly to the Island. It’s a marginal route for any operator. The big scheduled carriers all outsource their regional feeders nowadays. The franchisees are all facing the same issues as flybe.

Second fact is that the public want perceived budget airlines and only look at the headline fares. Having a licensing regime and fares at economic level won’t get you any  thanks from the man on the street.

Final fact, Manx Airlines weren’t cheap. Heathrow or Gatwick full price we’re over £300 at the end. Factor in inflation and the £200 each way EZY fares aren’t extortionate by comparison.

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that the Manx Airline model of an Island base and hub is best for us, but commercially I don’t think the business model  would work in 2020.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We can opine all we like, and criticise the past decisions.

Fact is there aren’t airlines queuing up to fly to the Island. It’s a marginal route for any operator. The big scheduled carriers all outsource their regional feeders nowadays. The franchisees are all facing the same issues as flybe.

Second fact is that the public want perceived budget airlines and only look at the headline fares. Having a licensing regime and fares at economic level won’t get you any  thanks from the man on the street.

Final fact, Manx Airlines weren’t cheap. Heathrow or Gatwick full price we’re over £300 at the end. Factor in inflation and the £200 each way EZY fares aren’t extortionate by comparison.

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that the Manx Airline model of an Island base and hub is best for us, but commercially I don’t think the business model  would work in 2020.

I agree with most of this but the reasons it is a marginal route are because we have allowed available bums on seats to be diluted between operators. I don't believe that the Liverpool and Manchester routes wouldn't work turboprop and one operator.

• Like 4

I think you've also got to look at the overall passenger numbers travelling to and from. Financial and CSPs are in decline. Tourism not so hot these days outside of TT type things. We are an aviation business minnow these days. Does a case stack up for a big operator?

Plus our own expectations might need tempering. We were well served by MA and then BA. The world was going to end when we lost the H/row and Gatwick red eyes (did that impact on business over here too?). But we weren't important in the great aviation scheme. The slots were needed for bigger business. But everybody seems to have adapted to the later EZY offerings, probably out of necessity too. We will get the service our use and numbers justify. It's a hard economic fact.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think you've also got to look at the overall passenger numbers travelling to and from. Financial and CSPs are in decline. Tourism not so hot these days outside of TT type things. We are an aviation business minnow these days. Does a case stack up for a big operator?

Plus our own expectations might need tempering. We were well served by MA and then BA. The world was going to end when we lost the H/row and Gatwick red eyes (did that impact on business over here too?). But we weren't important in the great aviation scheme. The slots were needed for bigger business. But everybody seems to have adapted to the later EZY offerings, probably out of necessity too. We will get the service our use and numbers justify. It's a hard economic fact.

It's a pity you couldn't have told Annie and the government this earlier before we thought we were Heathrow on sea, maybe then a bit of sense could have been applied to the numbers we can supply!