Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

Just now, asitis said:

It's a pity you couldn't have told Annie and the government this earlier before we thought we were Heathrow on sea, maybe then a bit of sense could have been applied to the numbers we can supply!

Doesn't matter, she wouldn't have listened, and someone with actual relevant experience didn't get the job. 

Spend spend spend. Utter cunts. 

Anyway, it won't be the first airline this year that folds - it's looking grim for much larger ones!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

It's a pity you couldn't have told Annie and the government this earlier before we thought we were Heathrow on sea, maybe then a bit of sense could have been applied to the numbers we can supply!

Well this is it, isn't it? Somebody assured a bunch of political egos that they could have 2.5M chaps and chappesses a year wandering through Ronaldsway's marbled malls. The tale was swallowed. Lots of money has been spent and there are things to show for it.

Unfortunately planes aren't currently one of them. Not of our making though and a separate issue really.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, asitis said:

Try telling them this Derek !!!

You can’t. You absolutely can’t. 

There is no perspective. I spoke to someone very high up this week, completely and utterly dejected with the whole state of affairs. Narcissists, hubrists, and incompetents. All ploughing on, with no plan, and no accountability.

it could be so much better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

Increase population = more flights = more destinations = more money to be made = more urgency from operators to step in = LHR Heathrow service = better BA service 

You are  Howard Quale and I claim my fiver!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Increasing the population needs to be preceded by increasing the economic activity in order to attract people here, as in the past. Economic migrancy, basically. People follow the money and always have done.

We don't appear to have much to offer in respect of that at the moment, other than the construction industry, there's a lot of Irish over here in that presently. Unless we advertise for navvies to get the Douglas prom finished. A few thousand more would do the trick.

• Haha 2

I agree with the economic activity point. Jersey has a population of 98,000 not dramatically different to the Isle of Man at 84,000 yet there are around 1.6 million people using their airport in comparison to Ronaldsway at 865,000 passengers. 

We need to have a robust and REALISTIC selling point to attract people here economically. I'm personally fed up with listening to "green fields and heritage railways" as attractors for anybody. Especially the young and vibrant. We need economic activity generation.

There's nothing else to come for. People will only come here en masse for employment and money. At present the economy is being propped up by Govt numbers and reserves. And lucky mates of Govt.

Compare to Jersey, St Helier. No sorry, don't.

Many years ago the IOM was served by flights from Liverpool which put down here and then carried on to Belfast.

Is it not possible to have a service which puts down in Liverpool and then carries on to Manchester, or even further ?

We need an air service which is the equivalent to a bus service.

It may be slower but eventually gets you to where you want to be.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I agree with the economic activity point. Jersey has a population of 98,000 not dramatically different to the Isle of Man at 84,000 yet there are around 1.6 million people using their airport in comparison to Ronaldsway at 865,000 passengers. 

That’s because they are significantly more affluent and fly much more frequently. And their business sector will be generating more air passengers.

• Like 3