Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

13 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes that’s how free enterprise works. I know it’s frowned upon on this island but it might just dig us out of this hole! 

I am sure you are way smarter than to think it is that simple. Think of how many staff are needed even in a small operation. Economy of scale is key here. Fu@@ me, the baggage handlers alone would cost millions, even before pensions are considered

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Wet leasing is when someone provides the aircraft and crew. The plan would be to lease the base aircraft. Set up with the other elements required and then get on with it. 

But it needs to be run by people that actually know what they are doing. 

A Citywing type operation, where you just sell the seats and charter in an operator to fly it. I know a few of the people from there, some have left the island but a couple of the main people are still here. Hell, one of the travel agents could do it, but they don't have the knowledge base.

I'd agree that Liverpool with the patient transfer contract is a money maker, and Manchester will rake it in, but Birmingham isn't worth it, the passenger figures just aren't there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manxberry said:

A Citywing type operation, where you just sell the seats and charter in an operator to fly it. I know a few of the people from there, some have left the island but a couple of the main people are still here.

I'd rather swim than fly on anything that anyone from Manx2/Citywing were running.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am sure you are way smarter than to think it is that simple. Think of how many staff are needed even in a small operation. Economy of scale is key here. Fu@@ me, the baggage handlers alone would cost millions, even before pensions are considered

I assume you know what a business plan is? You have to think about that sort of stuff. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I assume you know what a business plan is? You have to think about that sort of stuff. 

I know zero about airlines, the same as you do. We are not selling iced creams to tourists on a hot day.

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I know zero about airlines, the same as you do. We are not selling iced creams to tourists on a hot day.

You know zero about airlines yet offered an opinion you presented as authoritative. As I said if they are looking to raise capital from investors they will have a business plan. That plan will support what they look to yield as an investment proposition. As manxberry says Liverpool and Manchester are wide open for a short term route filler. There’s good short term money there if they (if they even exist) have the right backers. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

And  before you all get all excited about starting an airline, just look at the reasons why someone hasn't jumped in already on these already 'lucrative' routes...

easyJet will simply fuck your shit up if they start to operate on IOM-MAN and increase frequency on IOM-LPL

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You know zero about airlines yet offered an opinion you presented as authoritative. As I said if they are looking to raise capital from investors they will have a business plan. That plan will support what they look to yield as an investment proposition. As manxberry says Liverpool and Manchester are wide open for a short term route filler. There’s good money there if they (if they even exist) have the right backers. 

Is that why EVERY airline apart from easyJet has gone under ? All this crap about Manx Airlines too. What rubbish.

Nobody on here can offer an authoritative view, for the simple reason that none of us know enough about it. There may well be pilots or ex pilots on here, but that does not mean they have any more knowledge than you or I. or Flinty's mate about running an airline.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

There may well be pilots or ex pilots on here, but that does not mean they have any more knowledge than you or I. or Flinty's mate about running an airline.

Any pilot has more knowledge about running an airline than you.

It probably won't be enough knowledge, but it's definitely more than you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is that why EVERY airline apart from easyJet has gone under ? All this crap about Manx Airlines too. What rubbish.

It took Flybe 40 years to go under it was started in 1977 and went through various guises. Manx Airlines made Michael Bishop about £100M selling it out. So that didn’t fail either. It’s a numbers game. Taking in short term leasing, crew costs, booking systems would probably be fine. Yes EasyJet would put you out of business longer term but there’s plenty of people out there getting a next to zero return on cash so the opportunity for a short term profit through a proper lease based structure would probably be backed. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight