Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

43 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am sure you are way smarter than to think it is that simple. Think of how many staff are needed even in a small operation. Economy of scale is key here. Fu@@ me, the baggage handlers alone would cost millions, even before pensions are considered

Baggage and other services elements are handled by Menzies

42 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

A Citywing type operation, where you just sell the seats and charter in an operator to fly it. I know a few of the people from there, some have left the island but a couple of the main people are still here. Hell, one of the travel agents could do it, but they don't have the knowledge base.

I'd agree that Liverpool with the patient transfer contract is a money maker, and Manchester will rake it in, but Birmingham isn't worth it, the passenger figures just aren't there.

You might have misunderstood my post. I wasn’t advocating this sort of arrangement. 

Dry leased aircraft. Running it as a proper, small going concern, optimizing routes.

also, if BHX was timed right it’s likely you could be in central London for 0900

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

You might have misunderstood my post. I wasn’t advocating this sort of arrangement. 

Dry leased aircraft. Running it as a proper, small going concern, optimizing routes.

also, if BHX was timed right it’s likely you could be in central London for 0900

Delusional to think anyone will fly to Birmingham to get to London.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

Any pilot has more knowledge about running an airline than you.

Would you ask a bus driver how to run public transport? Or a trainspotter how to run Intercity? Or the MER?

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

if BHX was timed right it’s likely you could be in central London for 0900

Rail services from Birmingham International (effectively the airport) to Euston are excellent; one every 20 minutes throughout the day with a journey time of 75 minutes.Fares can be very reasonable, but at the time of flights you advocate Derek they’d be a lot steeper. The pre-purchased off-peak fares are the best, but I do appreciate that you’re advocating BHX as an alternative business route to London.

Edited by Uhtred

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

In other news. £2-3m to set up a 3 aircraft, govt owned airline. Locally based, 3x leased Q400, crews, maintenance and ticketing system. Flying to Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham to start with. 

From a very credible source. 

Lets hope so! Dash better than ATR also IOM based crews ready and waiting

With so many clever posters on here knowing just how to run our air services, I am surprised that they didn't do it before and save us from the real airline people who knew nothing about flying our routes and left us in this situation.

Having said that, we have just been to Liverpool for a concert at the weekend and paid less through easyJet for the return, than an airport taxi to Ramsey. Service was A1, price was A1. Flybe were not in the same league. 

Manx Airlines would ( if they were still here ) be charging about £600 for the same trip.

I will always remember a lady I used to know who worked in Scott's Bistro, who saved her piss poor wages all year to pay Manx Airlines to take her to Glasgow at Xmastime every year. She used to pay almost £400 return for that "pleasure". That was about 25 years ago. Just saying. 

Edited by dilligaf

14 minutes ago, NoTailT said:
16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Delusional to think anyone will fly to Birmingham to get to London.

Are Menzies a charity

8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Manx Airlines would ( if they were still here ) be charging about £600 for the same trip.

You seem very confident in knowing what a company that ceased trading 20 years ago would be charging if was still trading today in a totally different market which has a totally different pricing model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Derek was a very good copper. I met him a few times on the right side of the law.

I have a lot of respect for him too, but I think he is over simplifying what is involved in running an airline.

If he puts his efforts into bringing more supercars and the like here, he will earn my praise.

He did a great job with several events and I hope he can get those events back.