Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

The Loganair flight has largely gone in to ensure that patient transfers can be covered and the majority of seats will be for that which is entirely right in my view. The current plan of taking them via Heysham on the evening ferry its not good am not sure people who are vulnerable and unwell want a 4 hour ferry crossing only to find themselves in Heysham at 11.30pm at night. At least there has now been some action to address this immediate need although it should have been in place from day 1. 

What I don't understand is what the aircraft will be doing from 9.35am in the morning to 16.45pm is it going to be sat on the tarmac?

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

The Loganair flight has largely gone in to ensure that patient transfers can be covered and the majority of seats will be for that which is entirely right in my view. The current plan of taking them via Heysham on the evening ferry its not good am not sure people who are vulnerable and unwell want a 4 hour ferry crossing only to find themselves in Heysham at 11.30pm at night. At least there has now been some action to address this immediate need although it should have been in place from day 1. 

What I don't understand is what the aircraft will be doing from 9.35am in the morning to 16.45pm is it going to be sat on the tarmac?

I imagine it's one of these Estonian suboperated Saab340s they have spare on the ground in Carlisle. But its function is as a backup aircraft at Carlisle. Imagine they'll want to keep it as so, given them flexibility to cover issues whilst raking in the dollar from Tinpot.

7 minutes ago, snowman said:

If the seats were cheap the airport would be overflowing

You can get a flight to many places in eastern europe for a tenner with Ryanair from many UK airports but I don't know any of my friends or family across who have taken advantage of such a deal.

People need an actual reason to get on a plane that doesn't just involve money.

4 hours ago, WTF said:

i can;t believe it costs 300k  a month to land planes here.

I'm pretty sure that Manx Radio, and others on here, have misreported what Alf actually said. 

Hansard isn't published yet, but, as I recall, he said that they owed the Airport £300k, in operating costs. He did not say how long it had taken this sum to accumulate. So, bearing in mind the state of FlyBe's finances, its probably a lot more that one month. I can't imagine that the credit control function at the DoI is terribly professional, or effective!

He then went on to talk about Air Passenger Duty, which is collected by C&E. He said that £155K was due for flights completed in January, and this had been paid in full. The return for February flights had not been submitted, as it wasn't due yet.  

• Like 1

Landing charges for scheduled flights are based. not on flights, but ironically on departing passengers.  The latest figures are £23.95 per departing passenger plus extra 68p for services for passengers with reduced mobility and £1 extra for security[1].  The number of passengers that Flybe carried in January was 21,778, if we estimate that February plus the first five days of March would have been roughly the same and that half of those would be departures, then say 11,000 pax at £25.63 would be roughly £ 282,000.  Given the few extra days,  that not far off the figure that Cannan gave in the Keys today (that bit of Hansard is now up):

I am unable to provide an exact figure for moneys owed by Flybe to the Isle of Man Government at this precise point. Customs and Excise are currently awaiting the submission of the most recent return from Flybe in respect of Air Passenger Duty. Flybe submitted and paid the January return in full, for the period 1st to 31st January, and their February return is not due for filing until 20th March.

I am, however, aware that £303,245.16 is due and owing to the Department of Infrastructure for the payment of landing fees.

He also pointed out that Manx Air Passenger Duty would also be owed and: If it is helpful for the Hon. Member and for others, the APD return for January which was paid in full was £155,577.  So maybe £160,00 will be owed there.  He also told Costain: the information I have is that the Department of Infrastructure have in fact placed a lien on a Flybe-operated aircraft, in effect arresting it until outstanding amounts are paid.  There may be other smaller amounts owed as well.

[1]  This was from April 2018 and so is probably yet another example of the wonderful cost savings that come from privatisation.

5 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Yet people expect to fly for nothing....

Thanks to easyJet we more or less can. I love them. I absolutely don't mind that the Gatwick flight is mostly late when I'm on it. I've built that in to my expectations.

God bless easyJet.

• Like 4

Jersey has twice the number of passenger movements than the Isle of Man. both BA and Easyjet fly in Airbus 319s at regular intervals throughout the day not dropped in at the end of a schedule . Frequent well timed services are critical for an island. 

• Like 2