Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

1 minute ago, snowman said:

eastern and loganair will also end up going bust - combination of over-stretching themselves and coronavirus.

that will leave easyjet, ba, ryanair, jet2, aer lingus

I doubt Eastern will, owners have deep pockets. Logan? Well they also owned BMI Regional dont forget and that went to the wall, maybe in a planned maner. But Loganair worries me, greatly.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I doubt Eastern will, owners have deep pockets. Logan? Well they also owned BMI Regional dont forget and that went to the wall, maybe in a planned maner. But Loganair worries me, greatly.

I had a longish spat with the CEO over an issue where I’d saved them several hundred pounds by taking a course of action which solved a cancellation issue. It sort of made up my mind on Loganair

We should just go all in on Easyjet. 

We clearly haven't got a strategy on this whole issue and are just muddling by with whatever options come onto the table, regardless of how suitable they are.

Make whatever overtures we need to do to get them to agree to come here on a grander scale, they have spare capacity at the moment. Use the time while they are here to formulate a more coherent plan with various options should they stay, reduce or go. 

Let's not play around with 2nd rate airlines and various sub contract options. 

• Like 1

There will be more airlines across the world that will go bust this year due to the drop in demand due to the panic over coronavirus.

Loganair are profitable, and have massively deep pockets and steady income streams from the routes they operate for the Scottish Government, they will not go under.

Eastern Airways have been on the brink for years, but recently got re-bought by original owner Richard Lake who has deep pockets and will not sell seats for cheap.

Stobart Air are in serious trouble, with employees being asked to take unpaid leave. They will require a cash injection asap.

Blue Islands have been loss making for years, but are owned by the Healthspan Group which has insanely deep pockets.

Aurigny lose money year on year but are backed by the Guernsey Government.

easyJet are profitable, and have cut capacity due to coronavirus impact, so have the spare capacity to put something extra on. Whether they will or not is another question - short hops aren't there thing - we're literally a nothing to them and part of the reason they went on Gatwick and Liverpool was to kill FlyBe (and certain financial benefits at LPL I believe). Mission Accomplished.

Ryanair I'd put in the same boat as easyJet, but they probably can't be bothered with short hops either. We're literally a nothing to them. 

Virgin have given up on the Connect idea it looks like after losing a shitload of money.

So who else do you think should come in? :P

• Like 1

Loganair are a very well respected airline and generally good operators and its a positive that at least something has been done to ensure the patient transfers are ae to be managed in a sensible way. The bit I don't get is why this option using NYXAIR could not have been put in place more or less immediately and why it took nearly a week to at least get that in place. It feels like the DOI were under pressure to get something out for Tynwald and that should not have been the driver.

21 minutes ago, snowman said:

Belfast to Glasgow is a short hop that Ryanair and Easyjet either do operate or have operated in the past.  As is Belfast / Dublin to Liverpool / Manchester.

It's not true to say Ryanair and Easyjet arent interested in short hops.

If you just want to go with Easyjet or Ryanair then you are looking at having no more than 4 -5 flights a day into and out of Ronaldsway (in total)  that's all you will get to service the current passenger numbers. That will not work to service the island. As I posted last night go ask Easyjet or Ryanair if they will overnight a plane at Ronaldsway to provide a morning service and see what answer you get back. The minute they do I will view them a little differently but I am not holding my breath!

14 minutes ago, IOM said:

Loganair are a very well respected airline and generally good operators and its a positive that at least something has been done to ensure the patient transfers are ae to be managed in a sensible way. The bit I don't get is why this option using NYXAIR could not have been put in place more or less immediately and why it took nearly a week to at least get that in place. It feels like the DOI were under pressure to get something out for Tynwald and that should not have been the driver.

Because those negotiating it wanted more in it for the IOM than the other way round which is great. But they faffed about trying to woo two airlines and I'm sure they could have had a quicker solution for PTS if they spent less time faffing.

Completely agree with this. In the end its only an interim plan until the end of March anyway so rather than wasting all the time negotiating they should have just done the deal and concentrated on the bigger picture. The needs of the patients should have been number one priority. 

27 minutes ago, IOM said:

If you just want to go with Easyjet or Ryanair then you are looking at having no more than 4 -5 flights a day into and out of Ronaldsway (in total)  that's all you will get to service the current passenger numbers. That will not work to service the island. As I posted last night go ask Easyjet or Ryanair if they will overnight a plane at Ronaldsway to provide a morning service and see what answer you get back. The minute they do I will view them a little differently but I am not holding my breath!

I think that most posters on here understand all that. What some of us are saying is that, rightly or wrongly, we may soon be in a situation where there is no alternative than for the Government to try and cut an acceptable deal with easyJet.

If it comes to the crunch, hundreds of EZY seats a day, albeit some at inconvenient times, will have a lot more public appeal, than a dozen seats, in an ancient turbo prop, at sky high prices, to only LPL.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, gerremonside said:

Does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that EasyJet asked to fly Manchester a while back but were "advised" not to?

That rumour has been doing the rounds for a while, and I've no idea of it is true.

However, you have to think, that if easyJet had done their evaluations, and had decided that it was 'something' they wanted to do, the DoI wouldn't have much leverage to back-up such 'advice'.