Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Are there any examples of state-owned airlines being run profitably or at least break-even? Are there any models we could adopt or adapt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Government-owned_airlines

There's the list...will have a look and revert.

Whilst not a State owned Airline,  close to home, Manx Airlines had a fairly significant monopoly and was profitable.

Edited by madmanxpilot

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Whilst not a State owned Airline,  close to home, Manx Airlines had a fairly significant monopoly and was profitable.

Manx Airlines was fantastic.

Full cooked breakfast on the Heathrow 'Red Eye' at 06:50 daily, lovely friendly cabin staff with a genuine Manx greeting, free drinks on the way home.

A pleasure to fly even though it was a long business day.

However at just under £300 return, you paid for the privilege.

It was a comfortable, wonderful way to get to London, even if it was on business.

Terry L (a lovely, very genuine guy) had the business plan bang on......but it did cost the flying public a lot more for the Airline  to remain profitable.

On initial examination Its difficult to see readily how much profit or loss some of these state owned airlines made. Its also difficult to compare them against anything that would happen here. Air New Zealand made 463 Million NZD profit in 2018 - but that would be like comparing chalk with cheese. Perhaps one way way to find out would to do the math based on what Flybe did here last year. Yes, they had the infrastructure already in place down in Exeter, but I do know they did not lose money serving the IOM, quite the opposite in fact. 

14 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

And was a bit grim and really expensive.

And really tiny planes which made my ears hurt. I'm not flying on anything smaller than an Airbus from now on.

13 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Manx Airlines was bloody expensive. Apart from the “fare cracker” Joe Bloggs rarely could afford to travel like we all can these days, thanks to competition. 
I can’t remember now if they started the £50 Liverpool flights, or if it was Emerald ( if that was the correct name)

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-51856142

Of course, if we had our own airline, we could set sensible fares, even if it was just fo Island residents like what they do in the Spanish Islands.

Bin Open Skies - run our own service. The expertise is here to do it too.

The airline's or government's idea of sensible fares and the punter's are likely to be quite far apart. I wonder how many users would vote to junk Easy for all its faults and put their trust in a monopoly put together by the government and a group of local ex-industry veterans on goodness knows what aircraft or at what cost to passenger and taxpayer alike. Not too many, I would venture. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

And was a bit grim and really expensive.

And really tiny planes which made my ears hurt. I'm not flying on anything smaller than an Airbus from now on.

Expensive, maybe, by todays standards.....grim, never.

My collegue and I travelled once a month and it was never cancelled, usually bang on time and never ever 'Grim'.

• Thanks 1