Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

13 hours ago, Sentience said:

Manx Airlines was fantastic.

Full cooked breakfast on the Heathrow 'Red Eye' at 06:50 daily, lovely friendly cabin staff with a genuine Manx greeting, free drinks on the way home.

A pleasure to fly even though it was a long business day.

However at just under £300 return, you paid for the privilege.

It was a comfortable, wonderful way to get to London, even if it was on business.

Terry L (a lovely, very genuine guy) had the business plan bang on......but it did cost the flying public a lot more for the Airline  to remain profitable.

But that business plan probably wouldn't work today.  It relied on having a lot of business travellers willing to pay (or rather have their company/clients pay) for a premium service.   The number of business travellers has fallen over the years and I suspect those still travelling will be more careful with their money.

Edited to add: Typo corrected - I wrote "over the year" rather than "over the years".  An important difference as the decline started in the early 2000s presumably as use of the internet increased and made some trips less useful.  In absolute numbers the decline in those on business trips and day trips (which I am generously assuming are business related) has levelled out but it continues to fall as a percentage of all departures according to the passenger surveys.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that business plan probably wouldn't work today.  It relied on having a lot of business travellers willing to pay (or rather have their company/clients pay) for a premium service.   The number of business travellers has fallen over the year and I suspect those still travelling will be more careful with their money.

Quite. And in the leisure market, can you imagine the grumbling of those who have become accustomed to timing their trips and booking a few weeks in advance to travel on an A319/320 Airbus for £15 each way when they are asked to pay 5 times more for the privilege of a slow trip on a 40 seat bone shaking 1990s turboprop of dubious ancestry?

• Like 1

In Canada's British Columbia the sea journey from the mainland to Vancouver Island is considered part of the 'Highway' and is subsidised, for ALL travellers by their 'Highways' department.

Hence millions of travellers, vacationers and locals using the service.

Now, imagine the current SPCo owners, the IOMG, ever coming up with that as a concept of increasing visitor numbers.

Don't immediately say "what about the balance of scale". It is 'speculate to accumulate', but that does require a thinking process that goes beyond the end of your nose.

Don't hold your breath with that as a considered concept with our current crop. They can't even create roads that are up to the standard of less wealthy 3rd world countries!

A 'deep sea berth'  for big cruise ships.....have you seen the size of these vessels!....seriously!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sentience said:

In Canada's British Columbia the sea journey from the mainland to Vancouver Island is considered part of the 'Highway' and is subsidised, for ALL travellers by their 'Highways' department.

Hence millions of travellers, vacationers and locals using the service.

Now, imagine the current SPCo owners, the IOMG, ever coming up with that as a concept of increasing visitor numbers.

Don't immediately say "what about the balance of scale". It is 'speculate to accumulate', but that does require a thinking process that goes beyond the end of your nose.

Don't hold your breath with that as a considered concept with our current crop. They can't even create roads that are up to the standard of less wealthy 3rd world countries!

A 'deep sea berth'  for big cruise ships.....have you seen the size of these vessels!....seriously!!!

When we become part of Scotland we will be able to enjoy road transport equivalence on the ferry. 

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

When we become part of Scotland we will be able to enjoy road transport equivalence on the ferry. 

If we became part of Scotland could we compel them to take Rodan back? If so, I’m in.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, woolley said:

That''ll never happen then.

Indeed, so we will never have road transport equivalent fares. 

8 hours ago, Sentience said:

Derek, while we are not members of the 'UK', we are never the less part of the so called 'British Isles'

Yes, but we aren’t part of Scotland, where they have road transport equivalent fares. 

And we don’t have a benevolent internal or external government, so we are stuck with ever higher prices, on the sea and in the air. It’s one of the privileges of independence .

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, snowman said:

Easyjet have abolished their change fees on tickets

You dont get that with the prop operators !

I think they can probably afford to when they are charging people up to £400 one way to Liverpool! If as some suggest they are to the answer for the island I assume those people consider that fair! For the record I don't. 

• Like 2