Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

20 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

I imagine it's being done with the best of intentions by someone inexperienced but as soon as the authorities notice they're fucked.

Last I checked, it's not illegal? Unless the rules changed after the M2/Citywing fiasco. Still think I'd hold my breath for Loganair though.

Edited by NoTailT

The Dornier 328 Jet is a much smarter and more modern piece of kit than the heap of ancient junk the Government managed to get. However successful, or otherwise, this turns out to be, these folk have looked beyond the obvious solution, unlike the DoI.

Edited by Nellie

50 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

Hats off to them? It's the same IP address as the Bitcoin conference people so it's just some kid with a load of bitcoin money.

There's no ATOL protection, there's no go ahead from the aviation authorities. It's a farce about to happen. 

The IP address will be because they are based in the same office as the bitcoin lot, as The Teapot pointed out.  So it isn't necessarily the same people.  And no flight-only operations are covered by ATOL - that's for packages.  What has been agreed with the authorities is another matter - but the latter won't be confirming it as they don't seem to do weekends.  Or indeed much in the way of information (whatever did happen to that announcement Harmer and Black promised us on Friday?).

34 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Last I checked, it's not illegal? Unless the rules changed after the M2/Citywing fiasco. Still think I'd hold my breath for Loganair though.

I think it's very much frowned upon. Citywing was practically forced to cease trading when the air operators licence was withdrawn from its flying contractor whose name escapes me for the moment. They attempted to hang in by rebooking larger aircraft,  but within days the numbers wouldn't work and the game was up. It's a poor business model. 

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think it's very much frowned upon. Citywing was practically forced to cease trading when the air operators licence was withdrawn from its flying contractor whose name escapes me for the moment. They attempted to hang in by rebooking larger aircraft,  but within days the numbers wouldn't work and the game was up. It's a poor business model. 

Van Air or something wasn't it? Czech I think.

• Thanks 1

Ettyl haven't even got a foreign carrier permit sorted or likely even know what one is. 

Citywing were great, up until VanAir Europe were told to cease operating in the UK. The CAA wouldn't have done that for any other airline. VanAir are still operating around Europe fine and within EASA rules, so obviously a case of "Not British, go away". The CAA are going to be left kicking themselves when the only airlines left operating in the UK are foreign headquartered with Brexit though! 

3 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

Ettyl haven't even got a foreign carrier permit sorted or likely even know what one is. 

Citywing were great, up until VanAir Europe were told to cease operating in the UK. The CAA wouldn't have done that for any other airline. VanAir are still operating around Europe fine and within EASA rules, so obviously a case of "Not British, go away". The CAA are going to be left kicking themselves when the only airlines left operating in the UK are foreign headquartered with Brexit though! 

I dont think the operator, in ettyls case sun-air, would require one for domestic flights. Even still, im happy to see flights, but this really isnt the solution.

I used to fly to/from Belfast and Gloucester all the time, loads of flights per day. Beats now where it's two flights a week if I'm lucky. Affected my business quite a lot.

But everyone else is seeing that now with the FlyBe collapse so you know, swings and roundabouts

Edited by Manxberry

15 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

As Sun Air already operate into London City, Manchester & Cambridge I’d assume they already have that?

Aren't Ettyl just acting as exclusive ticket sales agents? Not a virtual airline like CityWing?

Looks like the short term services to Liverpool and Manchester, in 32 seat jets are a method by Sun Air to use spare capacity from cancelled flights in its BA Citiexpress franchise due to current uncertainties.