Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

As Sun Air already operate into London City, Manchester & Cambridge I’d assume they already have that?

Aren't Ettyl just acting as exclusive ticket sales agents? Not a virtual airline like CityWing?

Looks like the short term services to Liverpool and Manchester, in 32 seat jets are a method to use by Sun Air to use spare capacity from cancelled flights in its BA Citiexpress franchise.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Airlines/Licensing/Foreign-carrier-permits/Foreign-carrier-permits---scheduled-and-charter-flights/

There you go John. They might get them sorted once the flight dates are shored up, but I doubt it.

1 minute ago, Manxberry said:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Airlines/Licensing/Foreign-carrier-permits/Foreign-carrier-permits---scheduled-and-charter-flights/

There you go John. They might get them sorted once the flight dates are shored up, but I doubt it.

But presumably Sun Air already have these for other routes and it will be their responsibility - not that of Ettly?

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But presumably Sun Air already have these for other routes and it will be their responsibility - not that of Ettly?

In my ageing humble semi experienced opinion, Sun Air are the real deal. Not like bloody Pop Air CW used to use. I'd like to think they know what they're doing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

Ettyl haven't even got a foreign carrier permit sorted or likely even know what one is. 

Citywing were great, up until VanAir Europe were told to cease operating in the UK. The CAA wouldn't have done that for any other airline. VanAir are still operating around Europe fine and within EASA rules, so obviously a case of "Not British, go away". The CAA are going to be left kicking themselves when the only airlines left operating in the UK are foreign headquartered with Brexit though! 

Van Air operated dangerously. That is why they lost their permit to operate within GB. 

Most pilots I knew refused to fly with them for positioning.

The day they were stopped on the runway at Ronaldsway was a very close call to an accident.

• Like 3

The VanAir operation here was not safe - that’s why they were told to pack their bags. That’s not opinion, that’s fact.

Unlike  VanAir - the people doing the flying for this outfit (Sunair) are reputable, and, as has been pointed out, do flying for BA in their colours too

The actual arrangement setup is no different than Citywing - one party sells the tickets, another does the flying. It is a virtual airline arrangement. They have said its only temporary, until another airline can pick up the routes. It seems like a fairly good solution considering everything that is going on in the aviation world at the moment. It will also give whoever is going to take up the routes on a more permanent basis time to get their plans and assets in place.

Now, if we had our own airl....................:-)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Van Air operated dangerously. That is why they lost their permit to operate within GB. 

Most pilots I knew refused to fly with them for positioning.

The day they were stopped on the runway at Ronaldsway was a very close call to an accident.

Indeed it was.

I said it before but i'll say it again. From the looks of thing this ettyl group appears to have been initially set up to run a few extra flights at TT week, when they know they would be totally full. This is from before flybe going tits up. Obviously an opportunity has arisen from that and they seem to have found a way to run a few more. Companies set up purely to profit from busy periods have one thing in mind only. i wouldn't trust them at all.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I said it before but i'll say it again. From the looks of thing this ettyl group appears to have been initially set up to run a few extra flights at TT week, when they know they would be totally full. This is from before flybe going tits up. Obviously an opportunity has asin from that and they seem to have found a way to run a few more. Companies set up purely to profit from busy periods have one thing in mind only. i wouldn't trust them at all.

Im going to be intrigued to see if they even offer fares for their advertised rate. IF they do, then despite my scepticism of this setup... between them/SUN-AIR, Loganair and EASY, I know who isn't the one ripping off.

Just been looking at Loganair flights IOM to Liverpool.
The flight I looked at was to be flown by NyxAir (from Estonia) on behalf of Loganair.
NyxAir have 4 Saab aircraft and their average age is 30 years (Plane spotters.net).
On their website (www.nyx.ee)their certificate to operate flights in the UK expired on 31 Jan 2020.
Is this what the Island is looking for to cover it's travel needs?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, gd0nfn said:

Just been looking at Loganair flights IOM to Liverpool.
The flight I looked at was to be flown by NyxAir (from Estonia) on behalf of Loganair.
NyxAir have 4 Saab aircraft and their average age is 30 years (Plane spotters.net).
On their website (www.nyx.ee)their certificate to operate flights in the UK expired on 31 Jan 2020.
Is this what the Island is looking for to cover it's travel needs?

Loganair are just another bunch of Shysters, our government are just taking the path of least resistance in order to satisfy the demand for patient transfer flights. 

Meanwhile in other news, Travel Watch are urging the government to take SleazyJet to task for their profiteering.

EasyJet Tossers

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Loganair are just another bunch of Shysters, our government are just taking the path of least resistance in order to satisfy the demand for patient transfer flights. 

Meanwhile in other news, Travel Watch are urging the government to take SleazyJet to task for their profiteering.

EasyJet Tossers

Just for a bit of balance. I can  remember people paying similar prices  ( to what EasyJet are asking for SOME seats now ) to Manx Airlines for flights Decades ago and to Flybe not that pong ago 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Just for a bit of balance. I can  remember people paying similar prices  ( to what EasyJet are asking for SOME seats now ) to Manx Airlines for flights Decades ago and to Flybe not that pong ago 

Yes, my last Manx flight to Heathrow was £350 return, and the last one to Gatwick was over £400.

Of course there were APEX fares, include a Saturday and other restrictions, and then fare cracker fares, but very limited availability.

I don’t think Easy were profiteering. They had their usual load, took on flybe ticket holders at £65 single, and a few patient transfers. The tickets, at £400 are the very last one or two. Booked last minute. The ones that usually don’t get sold.

I don’t know what the answer is, but moaning won’t help. Neither will the OFT.  

If Easy had sold all seats at £65 there wouldn’t have been any available. And anyone who thinks that someone in Easyland HQ was sitting there, rubbing their hands and manually over riding the complex fare pricing algorithm just for a few Manx flights, really?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, my last Manx flight to Heathrow was £350 return, and the last one to Gatwick was over £400.

Of course there were APEX fares, include a Saturday and other restrictions, and then fare cracker fares, but very limited availability.

I don’t think Easy were profiteering. They had their usual load, took on flybe ticket holders at £65 single, and a few patient transfers. The tickets, at £400 are the very last one or two. Booked last minute. The ones that usually don’t get sold.

I don’t know what the answer is, but moaning won’t help. Neither will the OFT.  

If Easy had sold all seats at £65 there wouldn’t have been any available. And anyone who thinks that someone in Easyland HQ was sitting there, rubbing their hands and manually over riding the complex fare pricing algorithm just for a few Manx flights, really?

But it wasn't just a few Manx flights John, it was over almost their entire network where they shared similar destinations with FlyBe. A friend in the UK paid £600 to get an EZY one way flight from Paris to Manchester after the collapse and loss of her return ticket for example.