sarin gas attack in syria

What do you mean by that? Think it through. Who benefits from this?

Lets hear your thoughts on who benefits from this?

Clue : it's not the victims...

Of course it's not the victims. The only people I can think of who do are, as I said before, those who want the continuation of the stand off between the West and Russia. I think there is a possibility that it has been used to manipulate Trump around to that conventional agenda and it's worked.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found Ian Bremmer's ideas on the J curve very useful in thinking about these issues.

The Hell has been created by the likes of Saddam. Gaddafi, Assad and Fatty - and there is a genuine danger Putin is working his way up the wrong side of the J curve as we watch.

Once you've created a state that can only be maintained by terror your society has basically had it - it isn't the goody-goody liberals who create the chaos if the dictator is taken out. It is pre-baked into the society.

Once the repression goes the networks of violence are going to whip around all over the place trying to maintain their power and to stop others taking revenge for what they have done.

Woolley, you critique Richard Rmanx for always blaming the west for all the wrongs in the world, but you are as guilty of it as he is.

The culprit is authoritarian societies based on terror, and sadly the world is full of them.

The one thing I am incredibly proud of is the west's discovery of political systems which remove violence from people's every day lives.

It is incredibly precious and to see the likes of Putin and Xi trying to claim their polities are no different than ours turns my stomach.

This image from the cartoonist Hexie Farm haunts me - Those who disagree raise their hand:

post-1364-0-70808200-1330436767.jpg

There are many renegade factions, even those who are aligned with Assad, which would carry out such an attack. Plenty of gas munitions went astray during the Iraq and Libya conflicts, falling into the hands of ISIS and other supremacists. It is a mystery why Assad would sign off such an attack (if indeed, he is responsible): what purpose would it serve to the regime? His exhausted army, with their rebel allies and Russian advisors and quartermasters have made recent significant victories so why would Assad contemplate a move which casts an even longer shadow over his regime? It doesn't make political sense.

It takes technical know-how and complicated chemical procedures to keep Sarin stable and effective, it goes off quick. So it would appear to be a designer weapon, probably manufactured some time ago. It is said that such weaponry often lasts longer than the governments and political ideologies they were sold to (often by the UK) so their proliferation and use comes as no surprise.

I've found Ian Bremmer's ideas on the J curve very useful in thinking about these issues.

The Hell has been created by the likes of Saddam. Gaddafi, Assad and Fatty - and there is a genuine danger Putin is working his way up the wrong side of the J curve as we watch.

Once you've created a state that can only be maintained by terror your society has basically had it - it isn't the goody-goody liberals who create the chaos if the dictator is taken out. It is pre-baked into the society.

Once the repression goes the networks of violence are going to whip around all over the place trying to maintain their power and to stop others taking revenge for what they have done.

Woolley, you critique Richard Rmanx for always blaming the west for all the wrongs in the world, but you are as guilty of it as he is.

The culprit is authoritarian societies based on terror, and sadly the world is full of them.

Well the hell was originally created by Saddam, Gaddafi etc. but at least the majority of people could go about their daily lives and indeed have a life without having the daily fear of bombs raining down from the sky or being summarily executed by one faction or another. I know that these were horrific dictators who did indeed kill some of their own people at times. I don't subscribe to the Blair/Bush theory as in Iraq, that going in there all guns blazing was ever going to improve things. It has made the hell a thousandfold worse and exported the problem around the globe. I certainly don't blame the West for everything, but neither do I look at it through rose tinted spectacles. It does things wrong on occasion. As you say, the world is full of authoritarian regimes. If we have learned anything at all it should be that we don't make things better by decapitating them without a plan for the future.

Well that's it now. They didn't ever want regime change but now the evil vile beautiful baby killer assad has used gas on his own citizens, leaving trump near to tears, regime change is the only option. Out of love and humanity mind.

No peace in Syria until Assad is ousted, says Nikki Haley

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/09/no-peace-in-syria-until-assad-is-ousted-says-nikki-haley

There are many renegade factions, even those who are aligned with Assad, which would carry out such an attack. Plenty of gas munitions went astray during the Iraq and Libya conflicts, falling into the hands of ISIS and other supremacists. It is a mystery why Assad would sign off such an attack (if indeed, he is responsible): what purpose would it serve to the regime? His exhausted army, with their rebel allies and Russian advisors and quartermasters have made recent significant victories so why would Assad contemplate a move which casts an even longer shadow over his regime? It doesn't make political sense.

It takes technical know-how and complicated chemical procedures to keep Sarin stable and effective, it goes off quick. So it would appear to be a designer weapon, probably manufactured some time ago. It is said that such weaponry often lasts longer than the governments and political ideologies they were sold to (often by the UK) so their proliferation and use comes as no surprise.

Sarin will be stored as a binary munition to ensure it's stability. Those who remember the unfortunate Dr David Kelly and the 45 minute claim usually gloss over the fact that it takes approx 45 minutes to prep a binary WMD.

The US assets tracked the aircraft from the airfield to the target and back.

There is already a stand-off between Russia and the US because neither can afford a direct confrontation. However the US are intent on destroying ISIS and the Russians are intent on gainig ground to keep Assad in power.

So my conclusion is that the US telling Assad that his regime is safe from them precipitated the attack. The only thing that will prevent more is if they damage Russia's standing because the Iranians won't be bothered.

Sarin will be stored as a binary munition to ensure it's stability. Those who remember the unfortunate Dr David Kelly and the 45 minute claim usually gloss over the fact that it takes approx 45 minutes to prep a binary WMD.

There is already a stand-off between Russia and the US because neither can afford a direct confrontation. However the US are intent on destroying ISIS and the Russians are intent on gainig ground to keep Assad in power.

So my conclusion is that the US telling Assad that his regime is safe from them precipitated the attack. The only thing that will prevent more is if they damage Russia's standing because the Iranians won't be bothered.

What do you think of the former UK Ambassador's suggestion in the video clip above, that the attack may have been launched against a rebel weapons dump where sarin was stored P.K.? He does seem to think that this is a set up of some sort

I thought Legolas KO'ed that guy. It definitely wasn't Assad as he would gain nothing and only harm his own position by doing it so that leaves only one possibility: false flag attack. The question is, who was behind it?

I think we need to keep in mind that Trump is literally fighting an internal civil war within the white house and with political shills in charge (as opposed to the actual agency personnel) in the intelligence community who are wanting to undermine Trump. I can see him being setup.

Anyway, good to see dropping bombs is suddenly unpopular again now it's not a trendy liberal dropping them.

What do you think of the former UK Ambassador's suggestion in the video clip above, that the attack may have been launched against a rebel weapons dump where sarin was stored P.K.? He does seem to think that this is a set up of some sort

That was the first Russian explanation. Collateral damage? I suppose it's possible but highly unlikely I would have thought. In any event I can't see how the regime would know what was stored there.

Archived