Re Shuffle

Lonan3

From Manx Radio. com:

"MLC and former DHSS Minister Clare Christian is the new chairman of the planning committee.

She replaces East Douglas MHK Brenda Cannell, who was sacked this week.

Local Government and Environment Minister John Rimington has explained Mrs Cannell was dismissed because she opposed the latest plans for local government reform, despite being a member of his department."

So an MHK who dares to speak her mind gets the bullet - and is replaced by someone who hasn't even been elected.

Democracy - what's that?

There's always going to be the sorting of the wheat and the chaff during a reshuffle..

However, why is it that when any MHK that is dismissed, they immediately go running to the press with the "Oh woe is me" line rather than taking the news like a man (or woman!).

You don't see this malarky over in the UK, if a member of parliament is dismissed in the UK then nothing is made of it.

Some may say that it is due to them speaking out against government etc.. BUT isn't also a possibility that in Brenda's case she may just simply have been no good and then was pushed after voting against the reform and against her own department? After all she did push the Samantha Barton issue towards Alan Bell rather than sorting it herself.

Yes there are some good and bad MHKs but you can't say an MHK is good if all they do is constantly criticise government - (Brenda Cannell / Peter Karran / John Houghton).

Anyone can enter government and be anti-establishment as that is the easiest option, rather than knuckling down and making a real difference - never a truer word said than "Empty Vessels Make The Most Noise."

Ok fair enough .. at times he asks the questions that others won't/ don't which should be asked, I'll give him that - but at times some questions have already been answered but he likes to be seen asking questions.

Others just criticise over and over and continually vote against the flow - take for example the pay raise for MHKs a while back - MHKs like Brenda / Hazel etc voted against it even though they knew it would go through so they could be seen to be "voting against a pay raise" - after it went through you don't see them turning it down do you?

As I said continual criticism doesn't make a good mhk!

Enforcer

Brenda Cannell is an MHK that will work for any member of the public, in the past she has looked into matters that my own MHK wont do, do you not think it may also have something to do with making/requesting the Planning enforcement officer visit a well know holiday village and enforce the rules, something the officer or the minister would not do

at the end of the day MHKs are elected to represent the people, thus in doing so wouldn't that primarily justify whether they were a GOOD MHK or not? I know some MHKs who are always on hand to help their people... and infact help anyone who comes to them with their problems... Doesn't that justify a good MHK?

Archived