NHS Cyber attacks

Chinahand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me make a point here that Woolley has touched on several times about the NHS:

A cyber pirate, probably a young kid in a bedroom somewhere has crippled our Health System. The NHS has already spent billions on computer systems in the last twenty five years and this is where more taxpayer billions will now be spent all over again. This is where a lot of the investment has gone, and why despite increased funding it's never ever enough. Computer systems and ever growing layers of high salary management, accountants, and hangers on - over and over again into a bottomless pit. This might be the time to rethink the whole model and make health care less dependent on, and less driven by, expensive and costly I.T. systems. Put people's health care at the front end again where it used to be.  

Hah. My favourite vulnerability was the SSL Heartbleed problem of a few years back. The whole PCI DSS industry was shown to be utterly useless, and yet is still around. So many billions wasted on fake security, and will continue to be wasted. It's a good racket if you can get into it.

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Terrible cyber attack on NHS with huge real world risks to patients. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

This is basically a national security issue.

The so-and-sos responsible should be hunted down and face the consequences. 

Hopefully they won't do a dumb government thing and pay the ransom with the unlimited free cash pool referred to as tax.  That would just unleash a new wave of encryption malware.

Something as life threatening as this merits the death penalty.  But of course we don't have that in case someone important gets hurt.

If it's some variant of cryptolocker, they'll have to pay or find a way to get the encryption key (which I believe is basically uncrackable with our current technology), or their files will get fucked up. 

Or just revert to backups I guess... Unless the backups are now encrypted too. 

Oops I have been cracking on about this since I was in short pants..

The internet will never be safe as those who are the most clever will be those that are the criminals..

If you want to make cash buy up former bank branches and wait for them to come begging back..

Archived