NHS Cyber attacks

Chinahand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do people think this will be sorted out?

Will every computer effected need reconfiguring?

i presume the encryption is basically unbreakable so unless GCHQ or similar can gain access to the hackers' databases the data on the computer is forever locked so anything not backed up is effectively gone. 

Really really yuck. Millions of pounds to sort out criminal damage. 

9 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

You would hope that they are able to restore most systems from backup. Where backup exists. But if the systems have not been kept properly up-to-date then you also have to wonder whether proper backup procedures are in place. Every affected machine will need to be re configured. But the risk is that it quickly happens again slightly differently.

In some cases they may simply have to pay. There was a case last year where a  US Police department ended up paying the ransom.

This is a particularly nefarious attack according to the reports. Once it arrives on a particular machine it then spreads to other machines on the same network. The way in which a machine first becomes infected is fundamentally a Windows issue. It simply should not be possible. It's a design flaw.

15 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Will every computer effected need reconfiguring?

i presume the encryption is basically unbreakable so unless GCHQ or similar can gain access to the hackers' databases the data on the computer is forever locked so anything not backed up is effectively gone. 

Really really yuck. Millions of pounds to sort out criminal damage. 

Purely my take on it, and I know Helix has a good grasp on IT Security issues so his comments would be interesting.

But I would have thought that if you have your data backed up, and you know the moment the workstation or server in question was first infected, you could format the drive in question, reload the OS and then restore the data from the last clean backup. You would have to be confident you had removed the nasty from your network first, of course, or at least isolate the part of the network you were working on. Depending how long the thing had been latent for, you stand to lose a lot of data, and the effort would be enormous.

I would avoid paying the ransom if at all possible, on the standard grounds for terrorism that you do not want to encourage imitation.

5 minutes ago, guzzi said:

Purely my take on it, and I know Helix has a good grasp on IT Security issues so his comments would be interesting.

But I would have thought that if you have your data backed up, and you know the moment the workstation or server in question was first infected, you could format the drive in question, reload the OS and then restore the data from the last clean backup. You would have to be confident you had removed the nasty from your network first, of course, or at least isolate the part of the network you were working on. Depending how long the thing had been latent for, you stand to lose a lot of data, and the effort would be enormous.

I would avoid paying the ransom if at all possible, on the standard grounds for terrorism that you do not want to encourage imitation.

Pretty much spot on, but the big problem is whether they had backups or not.

You would hope that all patient data and data from tests was held centrally on a handful of servers which are backed up zealously at perhaps 30-60min intervals. You would also hope that Doctors' own notes are saved on a centralised area (via shared drives etc) which was also backed up.

My concern would be that neither of the two is true. If they have data all over the place on machines that are almost certainly not being backed up (cost, difficulty to set up etc) then they're in for a nightmare.

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There's no shortage of samba exploits on Linux either :)

Absolutely (if people are even using Samba - and granted there are always going to be potential vulnerabilities in any system). But the initial issue is how the first machine on a network becomes infected - and that's fundamentally about the scriptability of Windows and Windows products. It's about why 'integration' was never a good idea.

20 minutes ago, pongo said:

Absolutely (if people are even using Samba - and granted there are always going to be potential vulnerabilities in any system). But the initial issue is how the first machine on a network becomes infected - and that's fundamentally about the scriptability of Windows and Windows products. It's about why 'integration' was never a good idea.

So far as I'm aware it was standard phishing that got it in in the first place? "Dumb user runs thing dumbly" can certainly happen on other OSes, though the default permissions models in Windows do make it more likely there. But frankly, Organisations should be setting their permissions up better. Windows is developed with the home user in  mind, and making things easy for the home user as a priority. It's not appropriate to keep those same settings in a work environment.

16 minutes ago, woody2 said:

i thought this worm was a product of the fbi.....

Close! The exploit being used to propagate the worm was found by the NSA, and was released as part of the Shadow Brokers leaks.

As I see it the government has only two options here:-

1.  Use this incident as an excuse to sell the NHS to their buddies.

2.  Set up a half baked cyber security firm and then employ them to design a new and already obsolete system with shallow and defective software for the NHS, while pretending that they are not benefitting personally from it.

5 hours ago, HeliX said:

Pretty much spot on, but the big problem is whether they had backups or not.

You would hope that all patient data and data from tests was held centrally on a handful of servers which are backed up zealously at perhaps 30-60min intervals. You would also hope that Doctors' own notes are saved on a centralised area (via shared drives etc) which was also backed up.

My concern would be that neither of the two is true. If they have data all over the place on machines that are almost certainly not being backed up (cost, difficulty to set up etc) then they're in for a nightmare.

I spent a great deal of my time in IT telling the customer base to take regular backups and store a copy offsite. Of course, when their system goes to ratshit and they call you in the first thing you ask for is the latest backup. Cue public servants saying "What's a backup?"

In my experience the only way to do 24/7 operations AND take regular backups is to use a dual system.

Not exactly rocket science and hardware ain't exactly expensive these days.

Archived