Manx Justice

FCMR

Nipper,

Before you start making stupid ill-founded comments regarding the jury system, why don’t you take the time to speak to the people involved with the system?

As someone who is very much involved in the jury system, I can assure you that the process for selecting at jury is very fair and beyond interference from the “Old Boys Club”.

So, when you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just the Manx Justice system thats not working, over here in the UK the Rolly Drowler case appeal is to be heard, and the reason that its to be heard in the UK is because the Plaintiff is alleged to have told the UK High Court that he is a UK resident, now if that is true why is/was the plaintiff down as a Manx voter and also reported in the Local press as being one of the richest Manx residents. This case should be heard on the Island and if it was to be any damages awarded would be restricted.

This case should be heard on the Island and if it was to be any damages awarded would be restricted.

If he's as innocent as everyone protests, he wont have to worry about having the case tried in an unrestricted damage claim court.

Unless....

This case should be heard on the Island and if it was to be any damages awarded would be restricted.

If he's as innocent as everyone protests, he wont have to worry about having the case tried in an unrestricted damage claim court.

Unless....

Its not a case of damages, its principle, if the offence or allegations were made on the Island thats the place to have a hearing, I dont think Alberts case would reach or be heard in the local courts.

But Crumlins hit on something else, Does Albert pay his taxes in the IOM or in the UK, interesting point, a big saving if they are paid here and also a contempt of court in the UK

YOU CANT PAY YOU TAX ON THE IOM AND BE A UK RESIDENT OR CAN YOU

Its not a case of damages, its principle,

Then there was no need to mention them in the first place.

By the way, using the word 'alleged' doesn't mean you can say whatever you like. Saying that someone 'allegedly' said something to a UK court doesn't absolve you of any responsibility when that turns out to be incorrect.

Well done. Now go find out where he pays tax before you go shooting your mouth off. When you're talking about a man who's not shy of firing legal threats and action at websites, we'd all appreciate it if you checked all your facts.

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular by saying this but speaking in very general terms, it's too easy to acclaim rumour mongers as heroic whistleblowers. Also, it does no one anyone credit to use virtually every topic to try to lambast the way the island is run. Making comments such as that which are (clearly) intended to be amusing may be a different matter.

Speaking personally, I've become very fond of these forums and of the mostly good-natured banter that is often characteristic of it. I do like to comment on news - both local and international - and to ask questions about matters that I'd like to see clarified. At the same time, even if something irritates me, I always try to make sure that I'm not saying anything that might constitute a threat to the well-being of the forums or its participants.

Taking a deep breath, counting to ten - very slowly - and then thinking very carefully about the possible consequences of posting is something I'd recommend to everyone.

Well said.

I've said before that we don't know the full facts in these cases unless you've sat through the whole proceedings, but you can't help but raise an eyebrow at some of the sentances. Manx Radio carried a story of a 50 year old bloke today who'd been found with a hedge of pot plants and bags of prepared grass. He got 3 months suspended. Yet a youth with anwhere near that quantity would be banged up for sure with intent to supply. Again, I don't know the circumstances, but jesus, that's a lot of weed.

Well said.

I've said before that we don't know the full facts in these cases unless you've sat through the whole proceedings, but you can't help but raise an eyebrow at some of the sentances. Manx Radio carried a story of a 50 year old bloke today who'd been found with a hedge of pot plants and bags of prepared grass. He got 3 months suspended. Yet a youth with anwhere near that quantity would be banged up for sure with intent to supply.  Again, I don't know the circumstances, but jesus, that's a lot of weed.

Without wishing to offer judgement on it, this is from MR's site:

A Douglas man who claims he needs cannabis to relieve health problems, has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Fifty-seven year old David Allan Quirk was found guilty of possessing the drug and growing it in his own home.

Police found mature young plants at Quirk's home in Saddle Mews, as well as four bags of cannabis bush.

The court heard it was for Quirk's own personal use.

High Bailiff Michael Moyle told Quirk this was a serious offence, which normally resulted in an immediate jail term.

However he said each case had to be judged on its own merit, and in this instance gave Quirk a three month sentence, suspended for two years.

you can be UK resiudent and pay Manx Taxes as well as UK taxes if you own Manx property - usually the double taxation rules mean that you actually pay nil manx tax but there are certain situations in which you pay to both.

Back on thread of the often oxymoronic 'Manx Justice'.

I was researching another thread and couldn't help but have a muffled titter at this headline:

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,...842-1-7,00.html

Maybe they were re-enacting an old Manx thing their ancestors did. Or something.

Oh, I was surprised by your swear filter. (muffled) titter got through but the sn*gg*r word that rhymes with bigger didn't!! - I'm not complaining, it gave me a bit of thinking to do as to what to put in, in its place though!!

It used to be possible (AFAIK) to be deemed Manx Domiciled but UK Resident. Meaning that, under certainly circumstances you wouldn't have needed to pay UK taxes on Manx earned income. Nor Manx tax since either.

I think Gordon Brown put a stop to that in one of his early budgets.

Perhaps an accountant can explain that better than me - assuming I'm vaguely right.

Archived