Roads closed to sell cars

vikingdoom

Just read on manx radio that they are closing roads to help a company sell cars for £125,000. Its bad enough closing the roads we pay tax on for bike fest but now anyone wanting to sell shit on the island can just come over and do it. And all thiss before the usual TT closures.  I hope it pisses down all weekend. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, vikingdoom said:

Just read on manx radio that they are closing roads to help a company sell cars for £125,000. Its bad enough closing the roads we pay tax on for bike fest but now anyone wanting to sell shit on the island can just come over and do it. And all thiss before the usual TT closures.  I hope it pisses down all weekend. 

Dont let Notwell see another thread about this. You'll get a damn good shouting at for such overt negativity at an event aimed at high net worths. He'll tell you that you should be embarrassed. 

I've been lucky enough to have attended various car launches around the world in some very nice places. We were always made very welcome by locals who saw it as a boost to their economy and enjoyed the buzz of the whole thing.

I have since revisited several of these venues on holiday to see more of the place, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

125 grand for doing very little. Sounds like a good deal to me. Stay in or do some gardending instead.

I think you've misunderstood.  The Island doesn't get £125,000 - that's what the cars cost.  What we really need to know is what the Island actually does get out of this sort of deal, rather than some nebulous 'goodwill'.  

And it would be nice to know some actual monitoring of the associated costs was going on - both direct ones and indirect ones such as staff and police time.  Given that (judging from the Tynwald Committee evidence) the DED seem hazy about the costs of such a long-standing repeated event as the TT, I don't hold out much hope.

I noticed a row of shiny and very stylish cars that looked like a mass produced sports racing car in Douglas.  Is that what it's about?

Very neat vehicles, but not really practical for everyday driving unless you lived in a very dry and sunny climate.

Archived