Roads closed to sell cars

vikingdoom

It does make you wonder why all that money was spent on the Sloc doesn't it?  Or alternatively if they are trying to justify all that expense by agreeing to anything that will actually use it (see also the Steam Rally, though they never made it that far in the end).  

It will be an inconvenience for a lot of people from the South having to detour via the Colby Glen Road (the Round Table still seems to be open), though the Sloc does reopen at 2pm.  I assume the closure of Castletown Square is only for the part that has been Chinese-granited and buses and other traffic can still get though.  Whether the retailers will be pleased will depend on whether the cars bring in enough extra people to the Town to compensate for the lack of parking.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It does make you wonder why all that money was spent on the Sloc doesn't it?  Or alternatively if they are trying to justify all that expense by agreeing to anything that will actually use it (see also the Steam Rally, though they never made it that far in the end).  

It will be an inconvenience for a lot of people from the South having to detour via the Colby Glen Road (the Round Table still seems to be open), though the Sloc does reopen at 2pm.  I assume the closure of Castletown Square is only for the part that has been Chinese-granited and buses and other traffic can still get though.  Whether the retailers will be pleased will depend on whether the cars bring in enough extra people to the Town to compensate for the lack of parking.

According to the 3fm report on their website, their is a private event in Castletown. If this is the case, it could be assumed the Square will be out of bounds to the public. I really do hope the retailers don't lose out due to lack of parking. 

11 minutes ago, notwell said:

Why would the Square be inaccessible then?

The 3FM piece says "The event sees four days of driving including a private event at Castletown and a run around the TT Course".  It could imply that the Square will be closed off to non-invitees.  But it's possible that the private event is a reception somewhere in the town rather than the display of the cars, so the only effect would be loss of some parking.

They are just parked up in Castletown for people to have a look at. Pedestrian access is fine, square closed for public parking because there is no space. There's those odd cars plus an R8, an Aston martin and something else. Quite a few people have turned up for a skeet, so 2112 is likely wrong, whatever retailers still exist in Castletown have probably benefitted. The George looked busy for once

7 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

Be nice if these cars manage to get away without some little scrote keying them. There'd be no chance of being able to leave them out overnight in Douglas.

I'm sure Derek and his team will be patrolling. 

If the quick spend money thrown at the Sloc road contributed to ridding us of Gawne for hopefully 5 years, if not forever, then it was money well spent.

This always makes me chuckle though:

5917472693cab_SlocBottle.thumb.jpg.685defc8892f16a003477303090d7c68.jpg

and far funnier this one that went viral over the internet

591746ef5b2bc_Shovelinroad.thumb.jpg.9a7feb336604b7a0aee2f5fcbb9314e2.jpg

This kind of 'one make' car club event should be welcomes to the island with open arms by all.  It's the tourists, remember? There are dozens of car clubs in UK and Europe who would enjoy a chance to use closed roads for a quick run, particularly our hill climb runs.  The drivers and follwers will be good spenders.  Don't knock it.

Just now, gettafa said:

If the quick spend money thrown at the Sloc road contributed to ridding us of Gawne for hopefully 5 years, if not forever, then it was money well spent

I agree. Half a million to see off Gawnes political career was good value. 

Archived