Something Stinks In Douglas

When Skies Are Grey

No its not a political conspiracy FCMR I mean something really stinks...anyone else who came past Summerland/Summer Hill this morning will know what I mean. Seriously that was one hell of a hum...some poor girl walking down the hill was holding her nose and mouth to guard against it (at least thats what I think she was doing).

Excrement, creamery waste, seaweed all baking nicely in this rare summer spell we are having. Welcome to the Isle of Man!

There was a warningfrom local fishermen, many years ago, that the creation of the new battery pier in the form proposed would alter the currents in Douglas Bay and lead to an increase in the rotting seaweed at the Queen's end of the Promenade.

'Consultants,' however, were able to prove that this simply wouldn't be the case.

Did they, perhaps, use the wrong kind of 'flow charts?'

I noticed it coming down Governor's Hill, by the time I got to Victoria Road my eyes were watering and I could still smell it by the time I got to work.

I can't smell it anymore so I must be used to it. I've tried to tell the others I work with but they live in Douglas and don't believe me. Aliens, the lot of them. Roll on 5pm.

I used to live in the apartments on Queens prom. This time of year I used to go out on a Friday night, lay in bed on the Saturday waking up to a glorious sunny day (like today). Step out on the balcony only to be by the incredible stench that is Douglas beach.

I went past this morning and its probably one of the worst smells I've smelt, even worse than the old women farting on the bus.

I think I know what smell you mean! My Mum used to make us smell "the ozone" when we was little!

Talking of smells, i used to live in Ballafesson (Rushen) and when it was "silege season" - Fknows what the farmers were actually doing, but honestly the whole place used to absolutely shtink! An you just couldnt escape it, it was manure but mixed with a pickley undertone that made your eyes water! MMMM the attraction of being surrounded by farms!! Mind you would rather that then where i live now - the pungent odour of road pollution, weed smoke and chicken shop aroma!! Class!!

Its been the same for weeks. I went for a run along the prom one night and almost threw up when I got the Summerland. The smell was unbearable!

I really do laugh out loud when they talk of replacing Summerland with a HOTEL!

Archived