Bumpkin terror group targets smug ex manx residents

Just now, pongo said:

Memory typewriters sound very retro future, very Philip K. Dick.

Yes. Golf balls that could store a few lines of text, then a document, then floppies.

the screen was one line deep, 15 or twenty words, that scrolled.

first office I worked in with a computer was in 1984, first one in lawyers office on Island, just for accounting.

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

I'd forgotten, I took typing lessons in 1977/8 when I was studying my masters degree. I typed my own thesis dissertation.

We worked on Unix terminals. If we wanted something printed we submitted it to a batch queue and a messenger would deliver it to our box a few hours later. Later I did the  Mavis Beacon course - about the time that touch typing became completely irrelevant. 

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I can't sleep. I keep thinking Phil Gawne is going to set fire to the house.

I have it on good authority that this was the brand of matches Phil Gawne used....

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjomaTn0f_UAhXOnO0KHXmfBDoYABABGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASE-RofqkWMFH3MOwvepso9JCVMPk&sig=AOD64_0xvNR63wYKk5rtm3BVw8Iw9HBn2A&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj-8KDn0f_UAhXBL8AKHVYmC3IQwg8ILQ&adurl=

On 09/07/2017 at 1:50 PM, John Wright said:

I'd forgotten, I took typing lessons in 1977/8 when I was studying my masters degree. I typed my own thesis dissertation.

Even in the early 90's you could still hand in handwritten essays at Uni. There were big computer rooms where you could type up stuff and I basically taught myself word processing there. You'd have to wait a few hours to get anything you printed which was very frustrating when up against a deadline. I remember doing an allnighter in the computer room and being astonished at the number of geeks in there not just typing up work but sending messages to each other and people at other unis. What was the point of that? Couldn't they just tell them the message next time they met?

Archived