Vatican outlaws gluten-free bread for Holy Communion

llap

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No scientific evidence, but an enormous body of historical evidence for the early church who certainly believed he had recently existed literally within the previous decade. Quite ridiculous to suggest he had just been made up, although I'll be the first to say that Paul transformed an otherwise historical messianic figure into some sort of incarnate deity. The man existed, the deity worshipped by the church did not.

I heard from a biblical scholar (don't ask me for references) that there is more historical evidence available for the existence of Jesus than there is for the existence of Plato.

As Llap alludes to, the arguments now are not so much about whether he existed, as apparently most historians are in agreement that he did, but about what/who he was and what he did.

As a nipper I often stayed at my aunt's house for the weekends and enjoyed spending time with my cousins. Since my aunt was a devout Catholic, this involved attending Mass on the Sunday morning with them. I didn't mind this, but seeing as I was non-practising C of E like my parents and most people we knew, the whole performance was a bit of a mystery to me. I do remember though that from my position way back in the congregation watching the Holy Communion take place, I was convinced that the priest was saying to each participant, "Make it last" as he placed the wafer on the tongue, rather than the more official "Body of Christ."

Archived