Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The more these cases keep coming up the more it highlights how pointless and expensive these prosecutions are. If there is one thing that it is likely to get this law changed it is the public opinion on cost of prosecution. 

Good luck with that one.

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

On and on it goes in the Isle of Man.  It is beyond belief.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44585&headline=Man must do more unpaid work&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

For 20 quid of weed how much has this prosecution cost, only one winner it’s th3 lawyers. 

I don't know much about the law, but don't the police give a few warnings before nicking you.

This fella has had a few convictions, so I assume he cares little for the advice given to him.

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:
14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I assume he cares little for the advice given to him.

Why would he? The law is absurd and deserves to be treated with contempt. 

Like I said. The Police don't make the laws, they just uphold them.

All you people who don't vote  don't really have a say in how the laws work, if you can't be arsed to vote for people who may change things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Still think the IOM will not change the law until uk does just due to the common travel zone.

Would most people want to go though a customs check?

You could get on a plane here with a legal drug and then be banged up when arriving in the uk as it was still illegal 

8 hours ago, WKRP said:

Still think the IOM will not change the law until uk does just due to the common travel zone.

Would most people want to go though a customs check?

You could get on a plane here with a legal drug and then be banged up when arriving in the uk as it was still illegal 

I don’t think the CTA has any such inhibiting effect. There are several borders already, including an international one (Ireland U.K. ) and the U.K. crown dependencies borders.

The Law loves these anomalies and absurdities, anyway.

There are also internal borders between the devolved areas of the U.K.

The law on alcohol/drugs has significant differences across all those borders already.

You can draw parallels with drug policy now, where the attitudes and sentencing are harder/more severe in IoM, Channel Islands and Norther Ireland. Moving an illegal drug from mainland Great Britain to any of them can’t be importation, because there’s a common external border, but it isn’t just like moving across a county line between, let’s say, Lancashire and Yorkshire. So there’s a special offence called production.

Look at Scotland and minimum pricing on a legal drug, alcohol, where shops only yard apart have totally different pricing regimes and, no doubt, people living on the border shop with their feet.

Another Scots/English example is drink drive wher the levels for conviction and disqualification are different on each side of the border, 80 in England, 50 in Scotland, and where you can leave the pub, drive legally,  Cross an invisible line, be driving illegally, then cross another, and be legal, in a couple of miles going home.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, La Colombe said:

Why would he? The law is absurd and deserves to be treated with contempt. 

I agree. The law and punishment should be stricter/harsher with leniency only given if they shop their suppliers etc. If people want to take "drugs" fine, go and move somewhere what that is allowed.

11 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I agree. The law and punishment should be stricter/harsher with leniency only given if they shop their suppliers etc. If people want to take "drugs" fine, go and move somewhere what that is allowed.

it's allowed here if you know the right people

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

If you think the punishment should be harsher move somewhere where it is harsher.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I bet you're a barrel of laughs to live with you miserable twot.