Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As for crowd funding I agree it’s usually a way to get rid of your money without getting anything back in return but again some people are happy to do that if they like the concept. I’ve probably dropped at least £5K on a variety of ridiculous equity crowd funding opportunities in the last few years. I don’t expect to see any of it back. But you never know! 

Same (although not £5k).  Usually start-up Companies in a sector that interests me, generally with ethical or environment angle to their products or business.  Maybe £200 here and there, I sort of see it as a way of contributing to the proliferation of less asshole multinational companies.  But I've never seen anything back other than special offers for discounts of something they make, or interesting behind the scenes news.  

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Me too, and I don't want to feel this way.  I have a lot of time for Alex and the whole family but there's something too much centred on the dollar about this while business.

Whatever happened to Bobby Comish and his medicinal cannabis grow farm? Local lad who knew his stuff. He invested so much and did so much work towards it. Last I headr it was all 'in the bag' and now, nothing to be heard. Too cheap probably. Lets go for the multi million pound option instead. Bells and whistles. It was ever thus.

I know a few people who are putting money into it and all seem to think they are 'investing with a view to a significant return'. 

Who/what is this Bobby Comish?  I'm assuming he doesn't have HNW backing?  

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The biggest issue here is the IOMs two-faced attitude to cannabis where investors like these guys can now throw millions at it legally, but some poor kid caught with 50p of weed in their coat pocket on the bus can potentially get a criminal conviction. 

Therein lies the rub. 

1) legislation fit for purpose based on (as JW points out) proper research etc. Sounds like there are too many holes to plug.

2) will it really wash its face, financially? Somehow I doubt it

3) would it attract the wrong sort of "investors" when it's time for the original investors to sell or when new capital is required for expansion if it takes off? 

• Like 1

"Luxembourg has become the second European Union member country to legalize the possession and cultivation of cannabis for personal use after Malta.

After facing two years of delays, Luxembourg has taken a significant step towards ending its prohibition policy against cannabis.

A majority of 38 MPs voted on Wednesday in favor of a bill legalizing cannabis home cultivation and possession for recreational purposes, while 22 MPs voted against it.

The legalization of adult-use cannabis in Luxembourg allows for the possession, consumption, and cultivation of up to three grams."

Bonus:

Marijuana Australiana (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-wjgnMYFI

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

We shouldn’t be that bothered about 2) as I’ve said above if investors lose all their money that isn’t a problem or anything that the IOM needs to be concerned about. It’s a high risk / high reward (maybe) equity investment. People lose their entire stakes on things like this all the time right around the world so there no reason for the IOM to be any different in that respect. Equally on 3) should we really be bothered about the status of shareholders when the Directors will all be FSA approved and liable? Not sure we do. The Chinese state is probably one of the biggest equity investors in the FTSE. That doesn’t seem to concern the LSE too much when the businesses are run and managed by “fit and proper” people. 

Re 2) if it does get as far as being built and then the company fails (for whatever reason) we'd be left with a huge property that would inevitably lie empty and be yet another blot on the landscape. So it's not all about risk and loss just for the investors etc.

Re 3) I'm thinking of the time when the original investors will want to realise the gain on such high profile and profitable business. It could attract those that work in the current unregulated black market by washing their unregulated income, if you see what I mean. Anecdotal stories starting to come out of Malta make interesting hearing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Anecdotal stories starting to come out of Malta make interesting hearing. 

We maybe bad, but we're not Malta bad.  The place is full of next level corruption, run by the catel/mafia and they blow up reporters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

£616 +court costs to catch teenager with .006 grams of weed in their pocket and show the public what an excellent job they are doing to rid the Island from the scourge of drug?

Bargain I say.

but the drug wipes aren't used to catch people with drugs on them, they are used to determine if someone could be driving over the drug limit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Whatever happened to Bobby Comish and his medicinal cannabis grow farm? Local lad who knew his stuff. He invested so much and did so much work towards it. Last I headr it was all 'in the bag' and now, nothing to be heard. Too cheap probably. Lets go for the multi million pound option instead. Bells and whistles. It was ever thus.

He was at the public meeting in the square (what a good venue for such a presentation btw), asked a question too. 

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He was at the public meeting in the square (what a good venue for such a presentation btw), asked a question too. 

Oh yeah, I remember him (with the help of Google).   I thought he was wanting to grow hemp outdoors in fields.  Lots of commercial uses for the fibres (not get you high weed).  Govt fucked him over also by the looks of it.  The irony is he could have been growing since what, 2020.  Just plant them in the ground and away you go.  The 'medicinal/export only' HNW toys are still a couple of years from doing anything remotely productive.  That makes me wonder actually, GLO seem to be angling this at a lot of the medical use people over here as some sort of co-operative, community owned local panacea.  Has nobody noticed the 'export only' part?  Just proves Govt's only interest in this is making money.  Nothing to do with medicine or being remotely forward looking. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Putting a mother in jail for the thick end of 3 years because "plant bad" seems like something a sensible society would do.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/jail-for-drug-dealer-who-didnt-stop-dealing/?s=33

She’s a dealer who got caught previously and who clearly still continued to deal. Slightly less sympathy than a recreational user really. 

• Like 2

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

She’s a dealer who got caught previously and who clearly still continued to deal. Slightly less sympathy than a recreational user really. 

If the economy continues the way it's been going we can expect to see more of parents doing whatever they feel they need to to keep their kids clothed and fed.

56 minutes ago, HeliX said:

If the economy continues the way it's been going we can expect to see more of parents doing whatever they feel they need to to keep their kids clothed and fed.

they can hand them off to social services without having to move to jurby

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HeliX said:

She should try working. She obviously thinks more about her drugs than her children who she clearly saw as her get out of jail free cards, and for family allowance (or whatever it is called these days) wonga

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barlow said:

She should try working. She obviously thinks more about her drugs than her children who she clearly saw as her get out of jail free cards, and for family allowance (or whatever it is called these days) wonga

Just get a job that's flexible enough for her to still care for her kids, and that pays enough to make it worthwhile after childcare, with previous work experience and skills unknown to any of us? Lots of those on the job tree are there?

• Like 1