Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

Lots of good drug advice and information on Manx Forums just now, so anyone help here.

There was a group of lads living in a house down the road from our house in Douglas. They each had a motorbike and forever coming and going throughout the day and night every 20-mins/half hour or so. Each with a wee rucksack. They could only be druggie dealers (but any other suggestions I am happy to take). Now, would they be classed as bottom feeder mules or somewhat up the food chain? 

What's someone who keeps staring at young lads classed as?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not my experience.

We went to 1886 for a Sunday roast dinner ( a 70th birthday celebration) and I had occasion to use the toilet facilities and wasn’t troubled in that way at all. Nobody asked me if I wanted some drugs. 

I think  I was the only person in there at the time

If you were the only person in there, must have been a sad birthday celebration…

To be fair, they do an excellent Sunday lunch and the restaurant upstairs is superb, during the day.

Give it a try about 1am - 3am on a weekend.

4 hours ago, HeliX said:

What's someone who keeps staring at young lads classed as?

You're funny.

Edited to add: Who used the word 'young' anyway? Only Helix did.

Helix, our kid, you really are funny (too much erm, 'sniff' perhaps? along withe Gizo and PT, having a wee giggle)

Edited by Barlow

Karson's have had a monopoly with the dispensing of cannabis products since this 'experiment' was initiated. The surcharge tacked-on to each item must've swelled its coffers somewhat so competition might help bring prices down.

Local cultivation and production must surely be the most logical next-step in the process. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, quilp said:

The surcharge tacked-on to each item must've swelled its coffers somewhat

I saw Mr Karson driving around in a tasteless Roller SUV like he owned the place! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Karson's have had a monopoly with the dispensing of cannabis products since this 'experiment' was initiated. The surcharge tacked-on to each item must've swelled its coffers somewhat so competition might help bring prices down.

Local cultivation and production must surely be the most logical next-step in the process. 

Happy to sell my home grown at a reduced price...

Edited by Passing Time
only joking just in case Barlow is on to the bizzies
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2024 at 5:20 PM, Barlow said:

Lots of good drug advice and information on Manx Forums just now, so anyone help here.

There was a group of lads living in a house down the road from our house in Douglas. They each had a motorbike and forever coming and going throughout the day and night every 20-mins/half hour or so. Each with a wee rucksack. They could only be druggie dealers (but any other suggestions I am happy to take). Now, would they be classed as bottom feeder mules or somewhat up the food chain? 

You don't live near Domino's Pizza do you by any chance? ;) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know whether to post this here or on the Labour prison thread, but this is really local, and I thought it worth summarising the prison sentences that arose out of 'Operation Nightjar' in a table so we could see the overall effect of this:

Sentence (months)  
Name Sex Age Prison Suspend Amt (g)
Gemma Bartlett F 35 30   3.43
Ethan Georgeson M 22 34   2.4
Thomas Parsons M 24 29   1
Goran Gasinski M 22 32   2.6
Conor Shearman M 32 38   1.1
Dylan McCallion M 24 72   28.6
Karl Cameron M 34 29   3.4
Caleb Langton M 27 40   4.6
Keiran Bratty M 20 33   2.3
Thomas Reff-Butler M 28 28   3
Andrew Hay M 64 29   1.3
Leighton Higham M 18   24 1.1
Robert Ward M 36   24 [2.93]
Megan Hurst F 25   20 [1.1]
Liam Patton M 23   12 0.7
Matthew Richards M 34   18 4.4
Louis Thomas M 26 Absconded
Steven Menton M 41   TBA 0.5

Information is taken from the two Manx Radio stories on sentencing, on 20th June here and on 21st June here.  Sixteen were given prison sentence (five suspended), plus one (Menton) was deferred (I can't find an update) while another (Louis Thomas) had done a runner.

Several things stand out.  The defendants were nearly all male and nearly all aged between late teens and mid-30s.  And the amounts that they were 'dealing' in were tiny.  The only non-trivial amount was under 30g - compare this to the 328 g that someone was accused on smuggling in in a pot plant (make your own jokes) a week later.  For decades we've been told that police are only interested in catching the big fish, but in drug-dealing terms these are the smallest of tiddlers.

And of course all these were only caught because undercover police from off-Island were employed over several months to instigate the supply of drugs and then go back for more (might people feel threatened the second time if they didn't comply?).  Some of the people convicted were involved in only the most minor ways.  Hurst gave someone a lift; Ward gave someone a phone number.

Now some of these people are 'the usual suspects' (indeed three were already in prison on sentencing) though others don't seem to have a record of criminal involvement.  But what is really clear is that none of the big dealers or importers seem to have been charged.  These are the lowest-hanging of fruit and the whole operation looks like an expensive waste of time and money, even before you consider the extra cost and pressure of jailing eleven people for an average of nearly 3 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

how does the absconded stat come in to it , they didn't have any drugs listed in the table ? or can they only list the drug weights that bought the conviction?   i'm guessing big mouths at the bottom of the table too???

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

how does the absconded stat come in to it , they didn't have any drugs listed in the table ? or can they only list the drug weights that bought the conviction?   i'm guessing big mouths at the bottom of the table too???

I think the fact the guy hasn't appeared in Court (even if he has pleaded guilty) means they can't give any more details.  Most of the suspended sentences appear to be for reasons you'd expect, I suspect any informants wouldn't be appearing at all - let off with a caution or whatever.  But the whole thing seems so pointless - and expensive for the taxpayer.  

• Like 1