Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Read the items on the facts about MDMA.  Far from unsubstantiated, the dangers are all too clear.

But that's beside the point, the stuff is illegal and those using it are criminals and should be prosecuted for illegal use or possession  to the full extent of the law.

Nice side step. Completely ignoring posts about Mr Lakeman or my post pointing out the millions of users compared to the very occasional death. This is not about criminality any more. It’s gone far too far for that. This is about damage limitation. Something that you don’t seem to have any knowledge or willingness to engage with. It’s a different world now old man and you’re way out of touch with the reality of the situation. Maybe stick to what you know rather than what you think you know.   Slightly more credibility in it for you. 

3 hours ago, ecobob said:

Nice side step. Completely ignoring posts about Mr Lakeman or my post pointing out the millions of users compared to the very occasional death. This is not about criminality any more. It’s gone far too far for that. This is about damage limitation. Something that you don’t seem to have any knowledge or willingness to engage with. It’s a different world now old man and you’re way out of touch with the reality of the situation. Maybe stick to what you know rather than what you think you know.   Slightly more credibility in it for you. 

No sidestep, the fact that MDSA is toxic for some people is a fact.  In addition while MDSA remain illegal those using it remain criminals and should be subject to the punishment that the law sets out. As for its supposedly widespread use that does not change its legal status of the status of those who supply and those who use the stuff.

As an aside I have never understood why people take psychoactive substances. If they can't enjoy life without effing up their brains with chemicals then they really are sad individuals.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

As an aside I have never understood why people take psychoactive substances. If they can't enjoy life without effing up their brains with chemicals then they really are sad individuals.

Thank you for proving my point. You don’t understand and there appears to be no engagement on your part to understand. You’re firmly entrenched in the past and have no comprehension of the present. Your views are narrow minded and outdated and are more to do with the problem rather than any kind of solution. For years the judicial system has been following your opinion re criminalisation  and where has it got them? An increase year on year of people of all ages taking drugs on a daily basis and a year on year increase in the resulting criminality of dealers and users pushing more of their operations below ground. It’s not working the way you want and it never has. Didn’t someone rather famous say (and I paraphrase) that to repeat the same old bollocks and to expect a different outcome was nothing short of insanity?  If Mr Lakeman, after losing two of his sons can see there’s a different way then surely you could make an effort to do the same? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Thank you for proving my point. You don’t understand and there appears to be no engagement on your part to understand. You’re firmly entrenched in the past and have no comprehension of the present. Your views are narrow minded and outdated and are more to do with the problem rather than any kind of solution. For years the judicial system has been following your opinion re criminalisation  and where has it got them? An increase year on year of people of all ages taking drugs on a daily basis and a year on year increase in the resulting criminality of dealers and users pushing more of their operations below ground. It’s not working the way you want and it never has. Didn’t someone rather famous say (and I paraphrase) that to repeat the same old bollocks and to expect a different outcome was nothing short of insanity?  If Mr Lakeman, after losing two of his sons can see there’s a different way then surely you could make an effort to do the same? 

Did you actually look into what Lakeland was asking for - and why.  I did.  The answer to increased use of illegal substances is rigid and total enforcement of the law.

2 hours ago, Rog said:

Did you actually look into what Lakeland was asking for - and why.  I did.  The answer to increased use of illegal substances is rigid and total enforcement of the law.

No it isnt, the answer is to understand it and work with it. People take drugs because they believe its an instant panacea but in reality it rarely ever is and is only temporary. However, by keeping it prohibited merely drives it to the dark side, appearing to be dirty and evil but ending the prohibition brings it into the light, cleans it up. You may argue that it is the wolf in sheep's clothing by bringing it out into the open but you'd be wrong, it's how we, as a society, species even, deal with it that determines the sentiment and outcome.

21 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

And how would you propose to pay for a rigid and total enforcement of the law? 

One way to help this would be to pay a bounty to everyone who shops a user of supplier following a successful prosecution.

9 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

No it isnt, the answer is to understand it and work with it. People take drugs because they believe its an instant panacea but in reality it rarely ever is and is only temporary. However, by keeping it prohibited merely drives it to the dark side, appearing to be dirty and evil but ending the prohibition brings it into the light, cleans it up. You may argue that it is the wolf in sheep's clothing by bringing it out into the open but you'd be wrong, it's how we, as a society, species even, deal with it that determines the sentiment and outcome.

What amounts to appeasement to users and suppliers has spectacularly failed.  Just because some hedonistic fools want to do as they please is absolutely no reason to let them.