Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
19 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

This sort of things works up to a point. It would keep the weed addled citizens quiet and 'happy' and save police time etc. And save all those tedious pro-cannabis arguments.

But such a law should also need to greatly increase the penalties for possession of all other illegal drugs (including more than four plants of cannabis).

• Haha 1

Just now, Barlow said:

But such a law should also need to greatly increase the penalties for possession of all other illegal drugs (including more than four plants of cannabis).

No it shouldn't. It's irrelevant. Although I suppose you'll now go on to tell us about all those friends you had who died from overdoses. Loads of them there were. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

No it shouldn't. It's irrelevant. Although I suppose you'll now go on to tell us about all those friends you had who died from overdoses. Loads of them there were. 

That's a huge leap of thread logic there.

But now you bring it up, it's double figure. Most were Manx but all were highly respected cannabis joint rollers.

Moving this from the Douglas South topic to its proper place:

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think most people care strongly one way or the other.  Sure, there are a few who are all out ‘legalise it’ and a few who want to lock up occasional users, but I’d guess that over 90% of the population couldn’t care less about it. 

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Except Barlow it would seem. As I said I think most people under 50 especially don’t care. But the IOM does still have its fair share of Methodists and moaners who are very anti de-criminalization. 

Less than you'd think and we've got evidence of that from the consultation on medical cannabis that was done as recently as 2019:

We received 3,285 responses from Isle of Man residents and local organisations (99% from individuals).

Only 0.8% of respondents were NOT in favour of the introduction of medicinal cannabis

The majority of respondents that were in favour would like to see it offered as a quality assured product direct to the public for self-medication through accredited dispensaries (option D) or as a framework similar to the Netherlands (option C)

62% were in favour of restricting access to adults over the age of 18

95% would support the cultivation and manufacture of medicinal products in the Isle of Man subject to a suitable regulatory framework.

Although the questions nominally only referred to medical cannabis, it was quite clear from the more detailed analysis of responses that the majority of respondents (55%) wanted the option that was equivalent to legalisation for all:  Option D Offer quality assured medicinal cannabis products direct to the public for self-medication through accredited dispensaries.

More interestingly not only was hardly anyone against legalisation, but only 2.5% went for the more Establishment option of Option A: Remaining fully in line with the UK.

Now, as with any consultation, there's obviously a bias here towards the involved and against the indifferent.  But the point is there don't seem to be that many opposed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...