Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There will be overwhelming support of medicinal cannabis and licensed growing and strong support for decriminalization.

Not "will be", "is".  I'll just repeat my comment from earlier in this very topic:

[...]we've got evidence of that from the consultation on medical cannabis that was done as recently as 2019:

We received 3,285 responses from Isle of Man residents and local organisations (99% from individuals).

Only 0.8% of respondents were NOT in favour of the introduction of medicinal cannabis

The majority of respondents that were in favour would like to see it offered as a quality assured product direct to the public for self-medication through accredited dispensaries (option D) or as a framework similar to the Netherlands (option C)

62% were in favour of restricting access to adults over the age of 18

95% would support the cultivation and manufacture of medicinal products in the Isle of Man subject to a suitable regulatory framework.

Although the questions nominally only referred to medical cannabis, it was quite clear from the more detailed analysis of responses that the majority of respondents (55%) wanted the option that was equivalent to legalisation for all:  Option D Offer quality assured medicinal cannabis products direct to the public for self-medication through accredited dispensaries.

More interestingly not only was hardly anyone against legalisation, but only 2.5% went for the more Establishment option of Option A: Remaining fully in line with the UK.

Now, as with any consultation, there's obviously a bias here towards the involved and against the indifferent.  But the point is there don't seem to be that many opposed.

• Like 1

The inevitable conflating medicinal cannabis (good, good, good) and decriminalisation (bad, good, bad) will be the stumbling block. 

Let's see what Allinson does. He will have CoMin to contend with first. Is he prepared to take the risk of marginalising himself I wonder. He is still smarting from the somewhat bloody nose he received at the polls (compared to his ego pumping win of 2016). He will be cautious.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The inevitable conflating medicinal cannabis (good, good, good) and decriminalisation (bad, good, bad) will be the stumbling block. 

Let's see what Allinson does. He will have CoMin to contend with first. Is he prepared to take the risk of marginalising himself I wonder. He is still smarting from the somewhat bloody nose he received at the polls (compared to his ego pumping win of 2016). He will be cautious.

I really don’t get why you think he would be marginalising himself?

Sticking with decrim for a minute:

There is a risk when any controversial law is introduced.
I don't think Allinson's understanding of the Isle of Man is as clear as he thinks. There are many reasons why he lost so many votes at the general election and this has been discussed at length elsewhere. But there will always be the thought that a number of votes were lost due to his stance on abortion. Yes, I realise that may seem odd, but everyone has a vote in a general election.

Is he going to take the further risk with a bit of weed?

If he can bring his Thursday club mates on board then that is a perhaps a different matter but I can't see Isle of Man Government pushing for decriminalisation. He will have to step out of the circle and go for a Private Members Bill ie go it alone and persuade Tynwald to come with him.

In any case, I don't think he particularly wants to be a sword carrier for this particular issue.

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Sticking with decrim for a minute:

There is a risk when any controversial law is introduced.
I don't think Allinson's understanding of the Isle of Man is as clear as he thinks. There are many reasons why he lost so many votes at the general election and this has been discussed at length elsewhere. But there will always be the thought that a number of votes were lost due to his stance on abortion. Yes, I realise that may seem odd, but everyone has a vote in a general election.

Is he going to take the further risk with a bit of weed?

If he can bring his Thursday club mates on board then that is a perhaps a different matter but I can't see Isle of Man Government pushing for decriminalisation. He will have to step out of the circle and go for a Private Members Bill ie go it alone and persuade Tynwald to come with him.

In any case, I don't think he particularly wants to be a sword carrier for this particular issue.

You still haven’t explained why it is controversial.  It really isn’t to most people.  If we don’t just crack on we will get left behind and still be the stupid little island that fines people for having a tiny amount of weed.  We are already archaic in that regard as even the UK just issue on the spot fixed penalty and/or a caution.

Todays local rag in jersey.

B6DCA1D2-6F30-4FE3-8F9D-8EDBE74F0D2B.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

6 is a bit much for personal use really unless it was a one off crop to last a year or so, but it is hardly an industrial operation.  Not clear from the report, was he just fined or does this result in a criminal record?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/1250-fine-for-man-who-grew-cannabis-plants/

The govt continues its efforts to look like a bunch of backward hillbillies, whilst proposing to do the very same thing themselves, but of course they can tax it. 

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

6 is a bit much for personal use really unless it was a one off crop to last a year or so, but it is hardly an industrial operation.  Not clear from the report, was he just fined or does this result in a criminal record?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/1250-fine-for-man-who-grew-cannabis-plants/

The govt continues its efforts to look like a bunch of backward hillbillies, whilst proposing to do the very same thing themselves, but of course they can tax it. 

You can only be fined, put on probation, or imprisoned (suspended or otherwise ) after a conviction. So criminal record comes before the sentencing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...