Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

if anything the law should be tighter on drugs   or at least enforced , the Island seems to be awash with drugs at present ,and sadly the police are only appearing to be  scratching  the surface . cant blame them if the courts  and magistrates appear to be taking a softer line  or are finances so bad we cant afford to send those involved in drug dealing  to jail anymore , 

5 minutes ago, Omobono said:

if anything the law should be tighter on drugs   or at least enforced , the Island seems to be awash with drugs at present ,and sadly the police are only appearing to be  scratching  the surface . cant blame them if the courts  and magistrates appear to be taking a softer line  or are finances so bad we cant afford to send those involved in drug dealing  to jail anymore , 

They probably include it in the GDP!

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Shocking...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-22-raped-dealer-over-27036806?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Has this made local headlines yet..?

When this kind of criminality occurs it adds weight to legalisation. 22-year old raped by his supplier over. £500 debt. 

Not convinced the island is controlled by drug lords…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Omobono said:

f anything the law should be tighter on drugs   or at least enforced

Why? If they are not winning the war on drugs, would it not be better to try to control the supply and cut out the criminal element?

The Police actually catch a considerable number of dealers/ suppliers so they are not without their resources, perhaps if they were to loosen off on cannabis it would give them, more time to concetrate on the heroin???

• Like 1

Imagime a couple of licensed outlets (for cannabis, leaf or solid) in every town, oh and erm, maybe half a dozen in our big new shiny city. The revenue might startle some people. I often wonder how much lobbying goes on behind the scenes from the likes of the breweries, wholesale alcohol suppliers and retailers fearing the legalisation or just decriminalisation of cannabis. Influential and connected individuals with vested retail interests wrongly concerned about an alternative, legal mood-altering substance coming in the market with a knock-on effect on their off-sales. 

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well he got "bagged," but I know of a couple of other what I would consider dodgy fuckers who are being surveyed.

I too. A newly opened retail food outlet near the old Park Road school/laundrette is very suspect in my mind. Proper dodgy fucker ripe for scrutiny. Bit of a softlad too so should only be a matter of time before he's rumbled. I hope. 

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

It’s been covered by one local Facebook news source. It’s a terrible situation when a dealer prefers a bumming over £500. Scousers. 

Rape is about domination/power/control and for that dodgy dealer it will be about the message that gets sent out, who’s going to fuck with someone who has a reputation for raping someone over a £500 debt? Either pay up or have your arse left in tatters is quite a message.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/medicinal-cannabis-spared-jail-cancer-patients-b2083747.html

"A medicinal cannabis supplier caught with more than a kilogram of the class-B drug has escaped jail after hundreds of cancer patients submitted letters to the court in his defence.

Andrew Baines, 46, a father of two and a cancer patient himself, supplied hundreds of patients with medicinal cannabis oil. The same patients and their families submitted scores of letters to the court, describing how Mr Baines – who faced possible charges of possession with intent to supply and production of a controlled drug – had saved their lives.

Mr Baines was spared a 15-year sentence in a landmark ruling after the CPS decided not to pursue charges, instead giving him a six-month community order, the lowest possible punishment.

Giving her ruling at Grimsby Magistrates’ Court, deputy district judge Geraldine Kelly said: “If the law was different, Mr Baines would have been applauded, not punished.

“I take the view that a community order is justified in this case, not because of you, but because of the message we must send.”

Mr Baines’s solicitor, Hannah Sampson, said: “I have never seen a six-month community order imposed. If you steal a sandwich from Tesco you get 12 months."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quilp said:

I too. A newly opened retail food outlet near the old Park Road school/laundrette is very suspect in my mind. Proper dodgy fucker ripe for scrutiny. Bit of a softlad too so should only be a matter of time before he's rumbled. I hope. 

Haven't we had a few business owners recently fall foul of the drug police? Was it a car wash and a carpet fitter in recent months?

9 hours ago, quilp said:

Not forgetting that local plumber who grassed everybody up instead of taking his punishment. Proper little shit that one

• Like 1