Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The licence has been issued by the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission.

I find this confusing.

The CEO of the Gambling Supervision Commission states: "The GSC has worked attentively to identify a definitive list of stakeholders before creating the regulations to ensure the correct information gateways are captured in statute."

In the early days of the expat boom Dubai used to issue personal alcohol licenses to residents. They were like driving licenses which allowed people to buy a certain amount of alcohol off a licensed off license over a certain period of time. I really have no idea why we are hellbent on licencing the commercial IOM export chain but still doing some poor bloke in Pully for possession of 50p worth of weed. Its just greed and stupidity. 

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The licence has been issued by the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission.

I find this confusing.

The CEO of the Gambling Supervision Commission states: "The GSC has worked attentively to identify a definitive list of stakeholders before creating the regulations to ensure the correct information gateways are captured in statute."

Note the words "attentively", "definitive", and "gateways" which add nothing to the comment.  I sense a great deal of bullshit in that press statement.

The usual CS gobbledegook!

• 1 month later...

I am in no way defending the fact he was quite likely impaired at this level; but it does again raise the question of this limit that has been set, that would likely show you as still testing positive days after having a single joint, at which point you would in no way be impaired. 

If I was 9 times over the drink drive limit, I could barely stand up, yet alone drive a car which is only pulled over it seems due to a defective tail light. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/driving-ban-for-douglas-man-who-had-cannabis-in-his-system/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I am in no way defending the fact he was quite likely impaired at this level; but it does again raise the question of this limit that has been set, that would likely show you as still testing positive days after having a single joint, at which point you would in no way be impaired. 

If I was 9 times over the drink drive limit, I could barely stand up, yet alone drive a car which is only pulled over it seems due to a defective tail light. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/driving-ban-for-douglas-man-who-had-cannabis-in-his-system/

This was the point I raised previously.  The law doesn't penalise for impairment, only presence of cannabis in the system.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cissolt said:

This was the point I raised previously.  The law doesn't penalise for impairment, only presence of cannabis in the system.

every other driver pulled over in California  on suspicion of driving while impaired , is testing positive for drugs ,  this is what happens when cannabis and other drugs become easily available , 

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I’m just confused as to how you can set a legal level for illegal drugs you’re allowed to have in your system when driving? 

2 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

I’m just confused as to how you can set a legal level for illegal drugs you’re allowed to have in your system when driving? 

Fair point.  But then any showing in your system at all would be illegal and you've ruined my entire point of discussion. 

Although I don't think it's technically illegal to take drugs.  Just to own/sell them etc.

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

It's not illegal to have illicit drugs in your bloodstream (it is in some countries).   Concealed in other parts of your body is a different matter.

This new legal definition of driving 'impaired' under the 'influence' of cannabis needs to be challenged in the courts. The uninitiated just compare the defintion with alcohol impairment when the effects are incomparable. A lazy but useful generalisation which needs to challenged. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, quilp said:

This new legal definition of driving 'impaired' under the 'influence' of cannabis needs to be challenged in the courts. The uninitiated just compare the defintion with alcohol impairment when the effects are incomparable. A lazy but useful generalisation which needs to challenged. 

It’s a new angle for local plod to boost their arrest figures. It would be very useful to know the stats for drink driving accidents v drug driving accidents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not illegal to have illicit drugs in your bloodstream (it is in some countries).   Concealed in other parts of your body is a different matter.

But that’s still the bit I don’t get. Where drugs found up your arse is an arrest-able offense but drugs found in your bloodstream isn’t. 

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

But that’s still the bit I don’t get. Where drugs found up your arse is an arrest-able offense but drugs found in your bloodstream isn’t. 

You're in possession of drugs up your arse. You are not in possession of drugs in your blood.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, Newsdesk said:

In the early days of the expat boom Dubai used to issue personal alcohol licenses to residents. They were like driving licenses which allowed people to buy a certain amount of alcohol off a licensed off license over a certain period of time. I really have no idea why we are hellbent on licencing the commercial IOM export chain but still doing some poor bloke in Pully for possession of 50p worth of weed. Its just greed and stupidity. 

On this side of the pond, we refer to 'licences' and 'off-licences' and to the 'licensing' of things.

21 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

It’s crazy. If drugs are found in your bloodstream, then surely as with alcohol the presumption is that you have ingested them yourself?

Whether you took some weed out of your bottom and smoked it, or bought some lager in a pub and drank it, where’s the difference?

There really is no excuse for driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs. End of

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1