Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

5 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Pointing out that the war on drugs has been a failure for decades, that a lot of people quite like taking them and that the most harm is caused by the law isn't controversial, no.

We still have too many people believing the gateway drug myth.  Reducing the reliance on opioid painkillers whilst also reducing the increasing medicine costs seems like a double win for the tax payer.

KPMG even highlighted cannabis tourism in their £2 million report as a growth area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

Pointing out that the war on drugs has been a failure for decades, that a lot of people quite like taking them and that the most harm is caused by the law isn't controversial, no.

It's not controversial for you or I, or others who will see relaxation as progress but without doubt, a considerable number of people will find it controversial because they don't see it as being the way forward.

• Like 1

Problem is the social cost outweighs any other gain  and the health services will be inundated  by people who become serious addicts  their families breakdown ,and graduate onto something stronger , its incredible how many locals are driving around off their heads , but people must accept they are responsible for their own behaviour and not to expect the state to continually come along and wipe their backsides ,or deal with the consequences, money for the Nanny state is fast running out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Joney Faragher makes the case for lateral thinking in the drugs debate.

Controversial?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/joney-faragher-the-war-on-drugs-prohibition-or-proof-560565

Another politician that doesn't understand. How many times do you read about people being arrested for tiny amounts of cannabis possession? If they were to legalise this then they remove the criminality aspect of it. Let's face it you read more problems caused by drunks than people smoking the odd joint

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Another politician that doesn't understand. How many times do you read about people being arrested for tiny amounts of cannabis possession? If they were to legalise this then they remove the criminality aspect of it. Let's face it you read more problems caused by drunks than people smoking the odd joint

I don't think there's enough information available to be able to judge it equally. A police report might say the person is intoxicated as it's obvious. Not quite as obvious if they are mildly under the influence of cannabis. Also not something they'd necessarily test for.

As it's illegal it's unlikely to be reported by the person.

Not saying you're wrong I just don't agree with this particular element of the argument.

47 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

As long as all the ones that vote it in take it every day themselves. If there is a problem with drugs on the island maybe the police force should get themselves of Twitter and Facebook and get out there and do something. Are they searching in the right places as they arrive on the island?

we also do not have the right mental health service to look after people when it goes wrong.

Well photo ID for boat passengers would be a start and ANPR at all entry points.

Edited by doc.fixit

Has good ol' laughing gas got a grip of the Island yet? Apparently more popular than cannabis in some areas (source: any UK news outlet).

Fuck me, what is the world coming to if people (aye, not just kids larking about these days) have to inhale a dangerous fucking chemical for a laugh?

ETA:

I realise it is cruel to mock the afflicted but look at this guy. Would you buy a cannister of laughing gas off him?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62398337

Edited by AOR

1 minute ago, AOR said:

Has good ol' laughing gas got a grip of the Island yet? Apparently more popular than cannabis in some areas (source: any UK news outlet).

Fuck me, what is the world coming to if people (aye, not just kids larking about these days) have to inhale a dangerous fucking chemical for a laugh?

Is it much different to Boomers going out and drinking vodka for a laugh ?

UK festivals for decades have been carpeted by NOS canisters without significant levels of fatalities. There are far more alcohol-related incidents. so it's nowhere near at the top of the danger list.

All chemicals are technically dangerous. You can die from drinking too much water or from inhaling a helium balloon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Faragher: "Let’s put an end to gaol sentences for recreational use, or even explore a no-arrest policy for recreational cannabis."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Is it much different to Boomers going out and drinking vodka for a laugh ?

Fair enough post. I can't disagree with it.

I once went into a pub and saw a bottle of premixed vodka and lemonade (Dog of Two Head I think it was). We all laughed that premixed bottled spirits would never catch on.  And cheeky vimtos was a matter of mixing Vimto with vodka yourself.

Yep, all that exploded alright.

And WKD not even invented yet.

Edited by AOR
  • Like 1