Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

He is just going into town with a tenner isn’t he 😂

Won't get you much post covid (or before).

Inflation historically weirdly hasn't affected drug prices that much in the past. But covid changed that too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Banker said:

That's a very interesting piece from Gef, Sam Turton is prepared to do a good long article when it's justified.  The only thing I would have emphasised is that Karsons/Medicann are already operating successfully doing this in the Channel Islands, so it makes the claims about there being some sort of legal restriction or need to involve the CQC even more nonsensical.

What seems to be happening here is that certain bureaucrats in the DHSC seem to be throwing their weight around, with no legal justification at all.  Whether this is because they have nothing better to do or because they want to stop medical cannabis against the will of the politicians and the public or because they're expecting a backhander, I don't know.  But it's clear that what they are claiming is rubbish and the fact that politicians are unwilling to make them behave shows how weak and uncaring they are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What seems to be happening here is that certain bureaucrats in the DHSC seem to be throwing their weight around, with no legal justification at all.  Whether this is because they have nothing better to do

It's standard operating procedure for everything over here nowadays depressingly. 

Every single goddam thing that would be viewed as change or improvement anywhere else. 

• Thanks 3

I don't believe that this whole medical cannabis thing is being taken seriously enough. Really, they should be running a big follow up thing, tracking peoples health, look for the benefits and the negatives. They aren't though, and won't. Here's why:

Absolutely no one who gets a prescription for cannabis will find themselves cured of whatever their ailment is.

It's bollocks.

They will of course all feel better, which is a good thing, but its only because they're high. Might help someone with bad arthritis or in recovery from surgery move about a bit better for a while, but its only cos they're high. It might take some of the pain away, but it isn't really, it's doing things to receptors in the brain to make you think it doesn't hurt, like heroin does.

It is a giant and stupid waste of time, effort and common sense.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't believe that this whole medical cannabis thing is being taken seriously enough. Really, they should be running a big follow up thing, tracking peoples health, look for the benefits and the negatives. They aren't though, and won't. Here's why:

Absolutely no one who gets a prescription for cannabis will find themselves cured of whatever their ailment is.

It's bollocks.

They will of course all feel better, which is a good thing, but its only because they're high. Might help someone with bad arthritis or in recovery from surgery move about a bit better for a while, but its only cos they're high. It might take some of the pain away, but it isn't really, it's doing things to receptors in the brain to make you think it doesn't hurt, like heroin does.

it's about pain management that works for some people, not 'curing' anyone of anything , just like accepted pain meds that 100's of people are prescribed/addicted to with the blessing of the medical profession.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't believe that this whole medical cannabis thing is being taken seriously enough.

Certainly not on the Island.

Really, they should be running a big follow up thing, tracking peoples health, look for the benefits and the negatives.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the Integro team not half an hour ago to enquire how I was getting along with the 'treatment', had I experienced any downside, quality of the product, any improvement of my conditions, comments, etc. 

They aren't though, and won't. Here's why:

Those with decades of experience using cannabis know this to be true. The nonsense stories of cancer sufferers going into remission and such-like are without real evidence to back up these types of claims.

They will of course all feel better, which is a good thing, but its only because they're high. Might help someone with bad arthritis or in recovery from surgery move about a bit better for a while, but its only cos they're high.

Indeed, and that's the point- as a part of pain-management, being 'high' lessens the focus one has on one's pain. Some pro cyclists and other sportsmen use Tramadol to assist their endurance, reduce muscle spasms, etc., as a comparison. The painful effects become less bothersome. Same with cannabis when it comes to sufferers of arthritis (me) fibromyalgia (me) and multiple sclerosis; being high makes the symptoms more tolerable, more able to function within the normal activities of daily living. The effects on epilepsy sufferers make this even more apparent, in children and adults alike. 

It might take some of the pain away, but it isn't really, it's doing things to receptors in the brain to make you think it doesn't hurt, like heroin does.

Therefore it's an effective palliative, but not like heroin, or other opiates. And it's without the dreadful side-effects opiates induce. Cannabis is certainly psychologically addictive, but not in the same way as heroin with its mental and physical addiction.

The whole saga has been a joke. The puff-pieces in the media by government PR bods and ministers, the false-starts, delays and the rug-pulling on Medicann at the last minute by the same people on spurious grounds. Now, local applicants have to deal with UK clinics at not inconsiderable cost. Is Government now trying to distance itself from the project/trial..? 

• Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They say the war will never be won, but to me the article comes across as though they are all linked to one another. Also, I thought the sentences given were low, perhaps if they were more substantial to send a greater message, it may deter more of those who may be eager to get involved. The sad thing is the police is tough on people in possession of a minute piece of cannabis and will enforce the full weight of their powers, yet sentencing for importing etc, can be wishy washy.