Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They're too young to drive, hence can't be drug wiped.  Seeing as that appears to be the only thing that Plod can do in relation to drugs nowadays, I commend the dealers' initiative. 

Is this the same sort of made up nonsense as the sex education stuff?

I might have led a sheltered life but have never in been offered drugs or even seen them being openly dealt on the island.

I think most people who wanted to would know where to get their drug of choice if needed, but I am struggling to believe people are openly offering drugs to kids in a park as much as I am to believe all the stuff that allegedly went on in a sex ed lesson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ativa said:

I might have led a sheltered life but have never in been offered drugs or even seen them being openly dealt on the island.

I think most people who wanted to would know where to get their drug of choice if needed, but I am struggling to believe people are openly offering drugs to kids in a park as much as I am to believe all the stuff that allegedly went on in a sex ed lesson.

To be honest and not joking (like my drug wipe comment), this doesn't suprise me at all. 

I know when I was at Balla 25 years ago, some the Pully kids that were doing their very best to ruin everyone else's education were definitely on drugs and were pretty blasé about it.   Maybe not quite 11 but definitely 13/14 at the time. 

37 minutes ago, Ativa said:

So it needs a big flashing neon sign saying "get your drugs here" for you to recognise that it exists? And, it's pretty much island-wide.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So it needs a big flashing neon sign saying "get your drugs here" for you to recognise that it exists? And, it's pretty much island-wide.

How do you reach that conclusion?  I said in my post people who want to know where to get stuff know where to get it.  I am regularly surprised by how many friends and acquaintances are so open about regular drug use but that doesn’t change the fact I struggle to believe kids are regularly being approached out of the blue.

You can smell weed regularly on the bus or when out and about.

It has certainly never happened to me or anyone I know over here.

Edited by Ativa

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I think we live in different times these days. 

I certainly know of youngsters who claim to have been offered them when going to high school on the Isle of Man.

I’m not doubting what you say about youngsters making these claims, but could not these claims be part of an attempt to somehow be cool. To look streetwise maybe? . Living in the ‘hood?

You know what kids can be like.

Or maybe I am just being naive 

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not doubting what you say about youngsters making these claims, but could not these claims be part of an attempt to somehow be cool. To look streetwise maybe? . Living in the ‘hood?

You know what kids can be like.

Or maybe I am just being naive 

I've heard it a couple of times and not in that context. 

In short I believed what they were saying and have heard it from parents of kids too. 

46 minutes ago, Turtleish said:

Basically these days people are getting busted for not paying the 'licence fee'. 

Or in the case of the drug driving wipes, busted for having a sniff/smoke a few days ago and not being currently impaired in any way. 

It's not actually illegal to take drugs.  

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So what are they being convicted of then? 

Having taken drugs (at some point in the last few days) and being in charge of a vehicle.

Same as booze.  It's not illegal to have a 3 pints.  It is illegal to have 3 pints and then drive. 

The issue with the drugs is the limit.  No research at all into the impairment associated with the readings.  Legislators basically picked a value out of mid air (substantially lower than was proposed) and if you read the reports, most of those being busted even the police have said they've shown no signs of impairment to their driving.

Don't get me wrong, I never drive after more than one beer.  If you're impaired through drink or drugs (either casual or prescribed), then you 100% should be busted. But the fact I could have a spliff or a sniff yesterday, the effects wear off after an hour or so and me still be busted today is ridiculous. 

• Like 2