Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Having taken drugs (at some point in the last few days) and being in charge of a vehicle.

Same as booze.  It's not illegal to have a 3 pints.  It is illegal to have 3 pints and then drive. 

The issue with the drugs is the limit.  No research at all into the impairment associated with the readings.  Legislators basically picked a value out of mid air (substantially lower than was proposed) and if you read the reports, most of those being busted even the police have said they've shown no signs of impairment to their driving.

Don't get me wrong, I never drive after more than one beer.  If you're impaired through drink or drugs (either casual or prescribed), then you 100% should be busted. But the fact I could have a spliff or a sniff yesterday, the effects wear off after an hour or so and me still be busted today is ridiculous. 

Well don't have a sniff or a smoke if you're thinking of driving. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Thou shalt not imbibe one single beer if you plan to drive in the next two days.

With booze you know what you will be like, test wise, because of years of  prosecution/ testing and a VERY ACCURATE knowledge of what you have consumed.

Spirits 40%, normal larger 3-4% Mental beer 10%, Wine 13-18% etc

Drugs on the other hand are a very unknown quantity as to both strength and to what they have been cut with.

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Having taken drugs (at some point in the last few days) and being in charge of a vehicle.

Same as booze.  It's not illegal to have a 3 pints.  It is illegal to have 3 pints and then drive. 

The issue with the drugs is the limit.  No research at all into the impairment associated with the readings.  Legislators basically picked a value out of mid air (substantially lower than was proposed) and if you read the reports, most of those being busted even the police have said they've shown no signs of impairment to their driving.

Don't get me wrong, I never drive after more than one beer.  If you're impaired through drink or drugs (either casual or prescribed), then you 100% should be busted. But the fact I could have a spliff or a sniff yesterday, the effects wear off after an hour or so and me still be busted today is ridiculous. 

Not going to get into the rights and wrongs of the law concerning drugs when you've been driving, I don't know enough about it. 

As it stands though, at present, people know the dangers. If they flout it, then more fool them. I'd say the same if it was alcohol, but we know it works through your system quicker (dependent on amount consumed of course).

38 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

With booze you know what you will be like, test wise, because of years of  prosecution/ testing and a VERY ACCURATE knowledge of what you have consumed.

Drugs on the other hand are a very unknown quantity as to both strength and to what they have been cut with.

There was me thinking the larger would have been the strongest of them! Suppose it's only normal larger though...

43 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Depends on where you drink. Lager cut with floaters.Free meal with ever pint. 

Edited by Holte End

What is really "surprising", is that it seems only youngsters get stopped and wiped for drug-driving, when word is that a lot of older, more experienced persons (many different careers) partake frequently. But maybe it's just made up gossip, or just a coincidence that only young people who don't "know" anybody get busted.

16 minutes ago, majkul said:

What is really "surprising", is that it seems only youngsters get stopped and wiped for drug-driving, when word is that a lot of older, more experienced persons (many different careers) partake frequently. But maybe it's just made up gossip, or just a coincidence that only young people who don't "know" anybody get busted.

They should start testing in and around Athol Street… we know they won’t though

56 minutes ago, potiron said:

Class As are in and out within 24hrs

Depends what exactly.  With Cocaine you're not completely wrong.  The test for this actually picks up a metabolite of Cocaine which stays in system for a few days.  So you could say that you didn't have any coke in your system after 24 hours and you'd technically be correct. 

On 3/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, 2bees said:

New biased survey is out... sent to 7000 people. Utterly loaded against.

Anyone received this?  Would be interesting to see what they are proposing to ignore this time. 

"Some scientific studies suggest that a mother's cannabis use during pregnancy may affect foetal brain development. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of babies born with cannabis related brain damage?"

"Cannabis use before driving may increase the risk of road traffic collisions. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cannabis related road traffic collisions?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of high strength cannabis may increase the risk of developing psychosis or schizophrenia. hat effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cases of cannabis linked psychosis or schizophrenia?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of cannabis may increase the risk of sickness absence from work. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on cannabis related sickness absence?"

These are the optional last questions - the answer options are Would lead to an increase, Would lead to a decrease, Would have no effect or Don't know. 

I only know one person who has been sent the survey - a single, 60-something gent, from a nice detached country side residence... Honest to goodness, why not just say "Absolutely NO WAY are we even considering decriminalisation." and be done with it. The survey is 94.3% biased against and loaded with negative reinforcements with no further information supplied on the "scientific studies suggest" questions. 

• Thanks 1