Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

30 minutes ago, 2bees said:

"Some scientific studies suggest that a mother's cannabis use during pregnancy may affect foetal brain development. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of babies born with cannabis related brain damage?"

"Cannabis use before driving may increase the risk of road traffic collisions. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cannabis related road traffic collisions?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of high strength cannabis may increase the risk of developing psychosis or schizophrenia. hat effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cases of cannabis linked psychosis or schizophrenia?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of cannabis may increase the risk of sickness absence from work. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on cannabis related sickness absence?"

These are the optional last questions - the answer options are Would lead to an increase, Would lead to a decrease, Would have no effect or Don't know. 

I only know one person who has been sent the survey - a single, 60-something gent, from a nice detached country side residence... Honest to goodness, why not just say "Absolutely NO WAY are we even considering decriminalisation." and be done with it. The survey is 94.3% biased against and loaded with negative reinforcements with no further information supplied on the "scientific studies suggest" questions. 

The only person I know that was sent a survey was in their 70s. They are not a fan of decriminalisation they actually want full legislation and said as much.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 2bees said:

"Some scientific studies suggest that a mother's cannabis use during pregnancy may affect foetal brain development. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of babies born with cannabis related brain damage?"

"Cannabis use before driving may increase the risk of road traffic collisions. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cannabis related road traffic collisions?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of high strength cannabis may increase the risk of developing psychosis or schizophrenia. hat effect do you think decriminalisation would have on the number of cases of cannabis linked psychosis or schizophrenia?"

"Scientific studies suggest that regular use of cannabis may increase the risk of sickness absence from work. What effect do you think decriminalisation would have on cannabis related sickness absence?"

These are the optional last questions - the answer options are Would lead to an increase, Would lead to a decrease, Would have no effect or Don't know. 

I only know one person who has been sent the survey - a single, 60-something gent, from a nice detached country side residence... Honest to goodness, why not just say "Absolutely NO WAY are we even considering decriminalisation." and be done with it. The survey is 94.3% biased against and loaded with negative reinforcements with no further information supplied on the "scientific studies suggest" questions. 

You could apply all of those questions to alcohol...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The only person I know that was sent a survey was in their 70s. They are not a fan of decriminalisation they actually want full legislation and said as much.

Funnily enough I was talking to a near retirement lady here at work about it this morning and had assumed she'd be against it.  Turns out she clocked one of her neighbours growing and she wants to get some for her back! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Funnily enough I was talking to a near retirement lady here at work about it this morning and had assumed she'd be against it.  Turns out she clocked one of her neighbours growing and she wants to get some for her back! 

But people who are in their 50s, 60s and 70s today were the youth back in the 1960s and 70s who were smoking joints any time they could get hold of some. I'm surprised anyone would be surprised that these people, now they're older, would suddenly be against legalising pot. 

I'm on the wrong side of 60 and I'm wholeheartedly for legalisation (with regulation, similar to alcohol). I just hope they get around to doing it before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Time's ticking! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

But people who are in their 50s, 60s and 70s today were the youth back in the 1960s and 70s who were smoking joints any time they could get hold of some.  

Not everyone was tripping on LSD and going to Woodstock and that. It was the 80s before I came across a joint on the Isle of Man. It was very much a certain group of people that were into all that. 

3 hours ago, Passing Time said:

You could apply all of those questions to alcohol...

As soon as the debate brings in the obvious and somewhat juvenile parallel with alcohol, then the argument is lost. You do realise that do you?

12 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Not everyone was tripping on LSD and going to Woodstock and that. It was the 80s before I came across a joint on the Isle of Man. It was very much a certain group of people that were into all that. 

losers was the certain group IIRC

21 minutes ago, Barlow said:

As soon as the debate brings in the obvious and somewhat juvenile parallel with alcohol, then the argument is lost. You do realise that do you?

No, that's Nazis.  Compare anything to the Nazis and you have lost. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I realise that you are devoid of reasonable thought process. If you can't see how those questions are totally pathetic then that says more about you than anything else.

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It's exactly why my son uses it. Now he can get a prescription for it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2bees said:

Oh dear, as expected from the title of the survey.  Has it been published in full anywhere?

3 hours ago, Passing Time said:

I realise that you are devoid of reasonable thought process. If you can't see how those questions are totally pathetic then that says more about you than anything else.

Whichever side of the debate you are on, the comparisons between alcohol and cannabis soon run out and become meaningless. And for lots of different reasons. The debate starts off comparing say apples with bananas then all of  sudden chalk and cheese.

I am not against cannabis per se but hey, the law and society in general is.

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

"Some scientific studies suggest that ..... cannabis use ..... may......"

Doesn't seem very scientific to me. 

I’m not so sure.

The scientific studies may have shown that in some cases cannabis use…may…” and in other cases “ may not”.

Thats what scientific studies sometimes reveal.

They have identified different outcomes between those that choose to take these drugs.

Those advocating the right to take illegal drugs may want to present this as some sort of ambiguity. But it’s just presenting the results of research.