Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even by the standards of a deliberately biased survey (and we've seen enough of those from IOMG) what struck me about this was how amateurish this was.  Even the stuff we got from the local health students realised that you need to keep stuff simple, especially at the start.  And yet this is allegedly being done by a University.

We have kids from 'uni' at our work. I wouldn't trust half of them to write their name and address without making a spelling mistale. And don't get me started on capitalization. They display little discernable originality of thought or particular inteligence. 

But aye, they went to University ('uni') and that cannot be denied. And when they proclaim "I am the first person from my family to go to uni" I reply with "I rest my case"

Universities are just extensions of CSEs these days, evolved to a grotesque extent to allow everyone to be a winner.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

We have kids from 'uni' at our work. I wouldn't trust half of them to write their name and address without making a spelling mistale. And don't get me started on capitalization. They display little discernable originality of thought or particular inteligence. 

But aye, they went to University ('uni') and that cannot be denied. And when they proclaim "I am the first person from my family to go to uni" I reply with "I rest my case"

Universities are just extensions of CSEs these days, evolved to a grotesque extent to allow everyone to be a winner.

Oh the irony...

Edited by Passing Time
  • Haha 2

At least some of those I put there for that very effect, but hands up to maybe the others.

But not bad for a building labourer, although that said I did go to what is these days called "uni".

35 minutes ago, Barlow said:

During Covid I discovered that to gargle with neat whiskey, literally a spoonful, kept any colds, sore throats, coughs and ailments away. Actually, it was a fucking ace cure/prevention technique, just a spoonful every few days or so.

There is a science behind this that whiskey can be a super medicine, but if it was publiziced by the Government half the country would be even more pissed than they were during lockdowns and would continue to be so.

I grew up having warm whiskey poured in my ears when I had perforated ear drums etc. those were the days.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Barlow said:

During Covid I discovered that to gargle with neat whiskey, literally a spoonful, kept any colds, sore throats, coughs and ailments away. Actually, it was a fucking ace cure/prevention technique, just a spoonful every few days or so.

There is a science behind this that whiskey can be a super medicine, but if it was publiziced by the Government half the country would be even more pissed than they were during lockdowns and would continue to be so.

I grew up having warm whiskey poured in my ears when I had perforated ear drums etc. those were the days.

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Agreed.

I was reading the questions as if I was reading an assignment and thinking, 'no, that's not right, that's confusing, that's back to front'...

I missed my red pen.

Later in the survey they switch the scoring system so left is lowest and right is highest.  Definitely engineered to generate the response government wanted.

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

Aye, I think you'd get a bit of a hit from that with the blood vessels being close to the surface. Back in the day when I smerked tabs, it would be fun carefully peeling the silver paper from the ciggie box lining and then modelling it into a little silver spoon, from which we would sniff neat vodka. I suppose as teenagers we were showing off but it always attracted attention, erm mainly from the bouncers, and it made a shot of vodka last a good while.

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

Drugs are fine because Noel and Liam take them no probs.

You seem rather to have missed the point. Perhaps I did not express it clearly enough. Apologies.

I have no opinion about the Gallaghers' drug use. Or the former Conservative Prime Minister's. The simple point is that the youth of the early 90s culture are now in their 50s.

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Later in the survey they switch the scoring system so left is lowest and right is highest.  Definitely engineered to generate the response government wanted.

You're not wrong, just completed the survey and halfway through thought "what the fuck"

3 hours ago, genericUserName said:

I have no opinion about the Gallaghers' drug use. Or the former Conservative Prime Minister's. The simple point is that the youth of the early 90s culture are now in their 50s.

But it doesn't mean that there is a 'drug generation' who are more likely to be in favour of legalising cannabis than those older and younger than them.  Just that people in the entertainment industries (including politics) tend to have a more relaxed view of these things - at least for themselves.

As usual the best thing to do is to look at opinion polling.  YouGov have a regular tracking question on the subject, most recently asked over New Year.  I have summarised the tracker question and result by age below:

image.png.a60fca81e0af04033e13e98a6561ff60.png

As you can see with the above, Great Britain is split three ways: roughly one third want to keep things as they are, one third want complete legalisation, one third don't know or want something in between.  So there's not really overwhelming support for the current position.  And yes older people are more in favour or it, but that isn't overwhelming either - it's not even half and a quarter favour legalisation.

It's also worth pointing out that this is quite a 'strong' question - it asks about "sale and possession", not just possession.  So the people being put away in Jurby for years for sale, shouldn't be there in the opinion of most of the population.

Obviously this is for GB rather than the Isle of Man, but there's nothing to say it would be any different here, indeed both Scotland (38%-32%) and Wales (35%-32%) show a small plurality for legalisation.

Just listening to a BBC Radio 4 programme. There seems to be a heck of a lot of young people with so-called mental health issues. I've noticed this generally and school kids even here who are prescribed anti-depressants. There didn't seem to be any such problems when I were a lad etc.

Is the greater availability of, and insistence that cannabis should be normalised/legalised has anything to do with this.

9 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Just listening to a BBC Radio 4 programme. There seems to be a heck of a lot of young people with so-called mental health issues. I've noticed this generally and school kids even here who are prescribed anti-depressants. There didn't seem to be any such problems when I were a lad etc.

Is the greater availability of, and insistence that cannabis should be normalised/legalised has anything to do with this.

I think there are a number of contributing factors, in my opinion there seems to be no resilience/coping skills in kids anymore, something happens and it's the worst thing ever, they are then told by school teachers/nurses etc that you might have depression/anxiety. I think there is also a lack of parenting, instead of trying to help your child, talk to them it's easier to blame the likes of mental health service.  

• Like 2