Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

9 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Well I would hazard that the reality of the situation isn't that well known by the island's polite society. I mingle on occasion with the seedy underbelly otherwise I wouldn't have known either. 

WTF are you talking about?

Are you saying that the news that medicinal cannabis was now available for a price on the island had passed you by?  Have you been offline for the last three or four years?

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

but cannabis has already effectively been decriminalised on the island. 

Is it decriminalised really though?  Surely it's like Valium or similar?  It's legal to have if you've got a prescription, but not if if don't.  I'm sure there must be other drugs that have a similar situation. 

I have some stashed away after discovering you could buy it across the counter at Pharmacies somewhere in Asia.  It's the only way to travel long haul in my opinion; it actually makes it a reasonably pleasant experience!

Already been discussing some of the licensed grow plans this morning at:

• 1 month later...

This kind of thing brightens the evening, even if it is all irrelevant.

The website does induce a hallucinatory effect, with much-delayed response and sometimes no response to mouse clicks.

The three gentlemen involved supposedly all live in the same farmhouse - I make no comment about that.

They allegedly have $4 million of backing:

" GrowLab Organics Overview    Latest Deal Type
    Crowdfunding
    (Announced)    Latest Deal Amount    $4.18M    Investors    2"

from two people, whose identity is not revealed, nor is there a photo of the cash.

And the main man confirms his extensive business acumen:

"Dynamic leader with experience across sectors and borders. Exceptional strategic vision underpinned by a fine eye for detail. Holistic view of business, driven to optimise results for all stakeholders. Advocate for using cutting edge technology to leverage qualities of natural products."

I could be wrong - I usually am - but I have reservations.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:44 PM, Two-lane said:

This kind of thing brightens the evening, even if it is all irrelevant.

The website does induce a hallucinatory effect, with much-delayed response and sometimes no response to mouse clicks.

The three gentlemen involved supposedly all live in the same farmhouse - I make no comment about that.

They allegedly have $4 million of backing:

" GrowLab Organics Overview    Latest Deal Type
    Crowdfunding
    (Announced)    Latest Deal Amount    $4.18M    Investors    2"

from two people, whose identity is not revealed, nor is there a photo of the cash.

And the main man confirms his extensive business acumen:

"Dynamic leader with experience across sectors and borders. Exceptional strategic vision underpinned by a fine eye for detail. Holistic view of business, driven to optimise results for all stakeholders. Advocate for using cutting edge technology to leverage qualities of natural products."

I could be wrong - I usually am - but I have reservations.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:52 PM, offshoremanxman said:

No it’s legit there’s a lot been going on in the background for a while now. Not sure what you’re inferring by pointing out that they all live together in the same farmhouse! 

I'm behind the medicinal grow plan, even if it does to me seem like pie in the sky, but still see the sick ironic joke of the demonization by the Police of the casual user.  I'm still pretty cynical about this.  Why grow here and pay huge amounts for heating, lighting, local employment etc, when you can grow it in Southern Europe of Africa and not have costs anywhere near as much?  It cannot be commercially viable.  The only reason to set up here is to have a research facility and then you can justifiably use the IOM Substance Rules for when you develop a new strain or drug and can accordingly ensure the Intellectual Property has been genuinely developed here.  Boom, your Royalties are then basically tax free. 

The Growlab team are certainly going for the 'hearts and minds' of the people.  Alex has done quite a few talks on his plans to both local businesses and the general population.  He has a decent CV, was CFO and then CEO of a local Trust Co.  He likely has a lot of wealthy contacts from this, who are probably the significant funders behind it.  However I still have an element of suspicion about this.  They are actively (and it seems desperately) trying to get onboard local micro investors, who if this is like most crowdfunding examples I have seen, will get absolutely nothing back. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/iom-constabulary-seized-more-drugs-in-2022-23-than-ever-before/

"Each drug wipe kit costs around £16, and the cost of testing blood samples comes to around £600 - the report says officers arrested so many people, the forensic science budget was spent within the first half of the year."

Overzealous much?  So how are all the tests now being funded?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Overzealous much?

£616 +court costs to catch teenager with .006 grams of weed in their pocket and show the public what an excellent job they are doing to rid the Island from the scourge of drug?

Bargain I say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

£616 +court costs to catch teenager with .006 grams of weed in their pocket and show the public what an excellent job they are doing to rid the Island from the scourge of drug?

Bargain I say.

Indeed, there are surely better uses of that £600?

It would feed a family at the Food Bank for a few weeks at least.

A decent portion of a weeks pay for a teacher or nurse.

A night for an MHK at a swanky hotel on a fact finding mission.

1cm of horse tram rails.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The Growlab team are certainly going for the 'hearts and minds' of the people.  Alex has done quite a few talks on his plans to both local businesses and the general population.  He has a decent CV, was CFO and then CEO of a local Trust Co.  He likely has a lot of wealthy contacts from this, who are probably the significant funders behind it.  However I still have an element of suspicion about this

Me too, and I don't want to feel this way.  I have a lot of time for Alex and the whole family but there's something too much centred on the dollar about this while business.

Whatever happened to Bobby Comish and his medicinal cannabis grow farm? Local lad who knew his stuff. He invested so much and did so much work towards it. Last I headr it was all 'in the bag' and now, nothing to be heard. Too cheap probably. Lets go for the multi million pound option instead. Bells and whistles. It was ever thus.

• Like 1