Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Funnily enough I saw one of these prescriptions last night.  It's decent quality weed.  But what suprised me was the quantity.  I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but it was literally a jam jar sized tub full to the brim.  The dose advice noted to take when required, but not exceed a dose that I calculated would equate to about 10 days for that tub.  You'd be absolutely smashed hitting that much! 

Yes, the product is high quality, unadulterated flower, grown in near-sterile conditions by experts able to tailor it to specific needs of the end-user. High or low THC, high or low CBD, in concentrations/ratios to suit, whether for pain relief, anxiety, stress or otherwise. Typically, a prescription can be 1g/day, 0.2g per dose over the period before sleep, with the usual warnings/contraindications found on all NHS medications. Patients who previously used cannabis can now pay up to less than half the price of illegal cannabis without the illegality and use a quality-controlled product safely.

The numbers of prescriptions quoted is imprecise; the true number will shortly be close to 1000 and some scripts will be for 2 or more variations. Good news for Karson's of course, seeing as each prescription carries a charge of £30 per item. Some consumers are paying £90 on top of the price of the product. This needs to be looked-at. Friend of mine receives 30g of 22%THC and 0.1%CBD flowers of a strain named 'Strawberry Glue' for £240 plus the £30 surcharge. In the past it would've cost her more than double on the street.

On her containers it states the product is cultivated and processed in North Macedonia. The same process could easily be replicated here on the Island, slashing costs, presumably...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, quilp said:

On her containers it states the product is cultivated and processed in North Macedonia. The same process could easily be replicated here on the Island, slashing costs, presumably...

The one I was looking at was grown in South Africa.  I didn't pay much attention to the strain, I know some of the big famous ones, but after that there are literally 100s of randomly names ones that mean nothing to me unfortunately.  I'd like to be some sort of weed sommelier/connoisseur, but it appears I'm just not sophisticated enough! 

The licence for the proposed local growers unfortunately stipulates 'export only' despite what they maybe trying to make out to local investors/users.   In Macedonia, I suspect you wouldn't have to pay for light and heat (assuming they are using greenhouses) you would here, so I'm not sure it would be cheaper.   Further, I don't think there is any real viable option for these local guys to produce remotely commercial quantities, it's all about substance and intellectual property. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A while back I took part in some drug workshop, as part of some research into future drug policy. The report is now out and will be presented to Tynwald next month. It is very long.

https://tynwald.org.im/spfile?file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-GD-0113.pdf

I'm going to read it, but I suspect the end result will be no change.

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

A while back I took part in some drug workshop, as part of some research into future drug policy. The report is now out and will be presented to Tynwald next month. It is very long.

https://tynwald.org.im/spfile?file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-GD-0113.pdf

I'm going to read it, but I suspect the end result will be no change.

As long as the report is, it appears to be firmly sitting on the fence.

The motion that goes with it:

That the Report on Informing Policy to Minimise the Harms Associated with Drug Use in the Isle of Man be received, and that Tynwald notes Council of Ministers will develop a policy response to be returned to Tynwald no later than April 2024.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
punctuation

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

As long as the report is it appears to be firmly sitting on the fence.

That's because that's the desired outcome. No one in government wants to take the controversial but obviously correct steps, its too much work for them. So the 'new' policy they reveal in April next year will be to maintain the status quo, and then in a few years after another election someone will commission a new report because nothing will have changed and the same obvious problems will exist and we'll do it all over again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's because that's the desired outcome. No one in government wants to take the controversial but obviously correct steps, its too much work for them. So the 'new' policy they reveal in April next year will be to maintain the status quo, and then in a few years after another election someone will commission a new report because nothing will have changed and the same obvious problems will exist and we'll do it all over again.

Strange though. Gary Roberts retires. Within a few months we somehow manage to find the IOMs biggest ever drug haul.