Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Didn't the BBC news mention a haul of three quarters of a million?  Or have l misheard the value?  

Monetary value is subjective and always a bit ambitious. 

For instance, this local bust of 2kg Heroin and 1.5kg of Coke has been quoted as £750k on IOMToday.

However I saw a report this morning of some tiktoker in Peru being busted with 3kg of Coke, valued at £300k. 

Edited by The Phantom

time to get tough with these dealers and pushers who are ruining peoples lives , next thing they will be saying its too expensive to  send them to prison , and we now have too many being convicted ,  for a small island the drug problem here is pretty big and urgently needs  addressing  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Monetary value is subjective and always a bit ambitious. 

For instance, this local bust of 2kg Heroin and 1.5kg of Coke has been quoted as £750k on IOMToday.

However I saw a report this morning of some tiktoker in Peru being busted with 3kg of Coke, valued at £300k. 

Ah, so the valuation is irrelevant?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Ah, so the valuation is irrelevant?  

Considering it is so subjective, I can't really decide to be honest. 

I suppose it gives the public an idea of the size of the bust.  But realistically it needs to be considered that it's potentially inflated by around double, but obviously that's good for propaganda.  The best way I guess, would be to say x number of doses/lines/spliffs. 

• Thanks 1

One thing that I'm surprised no one has commented on in the report is the response of the survey to the question of cannabis legalisation:

image.png.9a25681a30199a3eb7bad36c4c2d8c4e.png

It's worth pointing out that this isn't much less than the support for decriminalisation (65%) which is often seen as the more politically acceptable alternative.

It's also worth saying that technically this is the best public opinion survey I have seen in a Manx context with a  good sampling procedure and high participation rate of 35% (they only expected 25%).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You've misunderstood the question.  It was actually about someone's "Level of familiarity with people who have problems with drugs" not just drugs themselves.  You could well have seen or taken or even taken drugs regularly and still say you didn't know anyone with a drug use problem.  The graphic makes this clearer:

image.png.10f2a12f47e62e33b4baa7e1fb66d8b4.png

It also shows that 59.5% of respondents did have a closer knowledge of those with drug problems and of those that didn't, the vast majority relied on documentaries rather than fiction.

If you substitute the word alcohol for drug in the above questions*, those relating to having direct knowledge of people with a problem would all be much closer to 100%. 

Just sayin'. 

*particularly questions 1-4, 6, 7, and 10.

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

One thing that I'm surprised no one has commented on in the report is the response of the survey to the question of cannabis legalisation:

It's worth pointing out that this isn't much less than the support for decriminalisation (65%) which is often seen as the more politically acceptable alternative.

It's also worth saying that technically this is the best public opinion survey I have seen in a Manx context with a  good sampling procedure and high participation rate of 35% (they only expected 25%).

It's amazing really when you think about it.  We live in a democratic country which has demonstrated repeatedly that the majority of the population want one thing, which the Govt refuse to accept and just kick the can further down the road and commission additional studies (and give some people in the CS something to do). 

Could they not just say, 'we don't care what you plebs think' and 'it will be impossible to implement any changes like this that are contrary to the current rules in the UK'.

On 10/25/2023 at 3:12 PM, Omobono said:

time to get tough with these dealers and pushers who are ruining peoples lives , next thing they will be saying its too expensive to  send them to prison , and we now have too many being convicted ,  for a small island the drug problem here is pretty big and urgently needs  addressing  

Have you mentioned this to the police yet?  Could be the turning point for the war on drugs!!

Next up.....Palestine

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Could they not just say, 'we don't care what you plebs think' and 'it will be impossible to implement any changes like this that are contrary to the current rules in the UK'.

No.   That would require a level of transparency and honesty unheard of to date.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As with all of these surveys, it's likely heavily skewed.

Most people won't bother responding to it, as the numbers show. This is an emotive subject, but usually amongst those that use cannabis or have some interest in it. Then only those with strong feelings against it may bother to seek it out. Those would likely be a minority, admittedly.

Whenever something comes up concerning cannabis you only need to have a quick squint on the comments to 'weed' out the stoners! Easy arrests for plod there if they went around their houses!

Truthfully it's something I'm not that bothered about one way or another. That said I don't think it would have any real effect other than to perhaps free up some police/court time for the government and keep those who like a joint happy.