Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Well aware. But even if they’re overstating by 100%, and as long as you’re not buying “wholesale”, it’s still cheaper at Karsons, and, as Quilp observes, higher strength and better quality.

you could well be correct then ,  i hope so .

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Let’s say you buy/get prescribed an ounce/25gm.

IoM police say that’s £500, on the street, from your dealer

Via Karsons it’s £230, including prescription fee.

Ok, not sure why I didn't work out street vs Karson's price to be honest.

For one reason or other, I'm not really certain of the current street price per weight. 

It used to be remarkably inflation-proof.  The price hadn't really changed for 20 something years.  Then covid hit and it pretty much doubled in price for obvious reasons and as far as I'm aware, pretty much stayed the same price.  Some friends and I then found an alternative route. 

There seems to be an assumption in the equivalences being discussed above: that Karsons are weighing out the same “street-grade” stuff that you can obtain in the pub.   I suspect (I don’t know) that the form will be different - but it will also need to be licensed as a medicinal product.   Presumably that will make it more expensive to buy and import?

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

There seems to be an assumption in the equivalences being discussed above: that Karsons are weighing out the same “street-grade” stuff that you can obtain in the pub.   I suspect (I don’t know) that the form will be different - but it will also need to be licensed as a medicinal product.   Presumably that will make it more expensive to buy and import?

Better? Debatable, as sometimes you can get good stuff.  More consistent quality - definitely.   I'll let @quilp elaborate, with him being at the pointy end. 

One thing is that the Karson's stuff is definitely nice fluffy buds (flowers) which when transported illegally generally get all compressed and squished together.  Whatever way you look at it, Karson's stuff is always going to look like you're getting more in volume. 

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Look again: I wrote different, not better…

Oh right.  It's still bud, just not as squished.  Probably fresher too.  I've not seen hash in 10 years and that used to be all you could get. 

On 11/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, quilp said:

Interesting that more than 17,000 cannabis prescriptions were dispensed by Karson's, to date. At £30 per item. Some of those prescriptions will be for more than one item, three or more sometimes. That's potentially £90 added to the price of the product as prescribed.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-17000-prescriptions-for-medicinal-cannabis-dispensed/

Except it turns out Manx Radio were wrong.  If you listen to the actual Tynwald audio:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/playaudio?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202301-1051a.mp3

(about a minute in) it is over 380 patients and 1,700 prescriptions, not 17,000.  This sort of aligns with an answer given to Watterson in July:

Since the commencement of the pilot dispensing service in December 2022, the total number of prescriptions dispensed, to date, is 1,329 to a total number of 395 patients.
Q1 (Dec 22 – Feb 23) – 455 prescriptions dispensed to 148 patients
Q2 (Mar 23 – May 23) – 874 prescriptions dispensed to 335 patients

Though it's a bit difficult to see how the total has fallen to 15 fewer patients since May and the increase in the number of prescriptions looks far too low for an extra 5 months.  But DHSC incompetence appears to know no limits. 

Edited to add: This was actually in reply to a question (#10), inevitably from Moorhouse, rather than the debate on the JMU Report.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Phantom said:

It's still bud, just not as squished

I also mentioned different forms being available: so it’s not just “bud” - there’s also sublingual oils and tinctures; and vaping oils (according to IOMG webpage).   I’m guessing extraction, concentration, formulation etc has an extra cost over and above the raw plant - has anyone seen numbers on the different forms being dispensed?

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I also mentioned different forms being available: so it’s not just “bud” - there’s also sublingual oils and tinctures; and vaping oils (according to IOMG webpage).   I’m guessing extraction, concentration, formulation etc has an extra cost over and above the raw plant - has anyone seen numbers on the different forms being dispensed?

Only seen the bud, not any oils etc.  Agreed you'd think it would be more expensive due to additional processing.  But then again, it's probably easier to transport.  

46 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Only seen the bud, not any oils etc.  Agreed you'd think it would be more expensive due to additional processing.  But then again, it's probably easier to transport.

Based on what?  Might be heavier but smaller volume - and might need extra packing to avoid damage to containers.   Easier, maybe - but probably not cheaper to transport.

I can buy an ounce for £200, and its fucking rocking. Buying it in smaller amounts will cost more. £50 for 3.5g.

I've smoked a fair bit of the medical stuff, as the phantom points out some of the prescriptions are wild. Friend of mine gets prescribed 2.5g a day, which is a crackers amount. I would argue that (for him) a prescription like that won't solve anything.

As for the quality, I don't think its all that. They don't really want people smoking it (quite right!), they encourage people to buy a vape, and the prescription weed seems better for that. It definitely seems that they've added an additional processing step, for consistency I suppose. 

I've grown a bit in the past, you can't beat it. Homegrown is the way that it should be.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I can buy an ounce for £200, and its fucking rocking. Buying it in smaller amounts will cost more. £50 for 3.5g.

I've smoked a fair bit of the medical stuff, as the phantom points out some of the prescriptions are wild. Friend of mine gets prescribed 2.5g a day, which is a crackers amount. I would argue that (for him) a prescription like that won't solve anything.

As for the quality, I don't think its all that. They don't really want people smoking it (quite right!), they encourage people to buy a vape, and the prescription weed seems better for that. It definitely seems that they've added an additional processing step, for consistency I suppose. 

I've grown a bit in the past, you can't beat it. Homegrown is the way that it should be.

brilliant  ,  i can buy an ounce  followed buy so much a gram   , stick to one unit of weight please.  how many grams in an ounce maths isn't for everyone.

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

brilliant  ,  i can buy an ounce  followed buy so much a gram   , stick to one unit of weight please.  how many grams in an ounce maths isn't for everyone.

Heh, its a bit like that out there. The kids are into grams, the older folk imperial. An ounce is 28, the 3.5 is an eighth. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, The Phantom said:

Oh right.  It's still bud, just not as squished.  Probably fresher too.  I've not seen hash in 10 years and that used to be all you could get. 

On 11/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, Jarndyce said:

There are so many people so genned up on the ways of cannabis here. Could I ask, is cannabis stuff transported up the arse or is that just heroin and crack and cocaine and that?

I know folk who like to have the occasional joint, say on an evening. By occasional, I mean every fucking evening without fail. But folk have a choice to do mostly what they want in life so fair enough. Maybe it would be a better world if everyone was wrecked all day long, put it in the water along with the fluoride or something.