Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

La Colombe

Appriciate your view Thommo but those occasions could be different from DUI, yes, it could be detected but what debilitation was there to driving??? That is what I was driving at.

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

Appriciate your view Thommo but those occasions could be different from DUI, yes, it could be detected but what debilitation was there to driving??? That is what I was driving at.

There doesn't have to be debilitating to driving its the same with drink driving there's a limit and if you're over you're  over doesn't matter how well you were driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Urgent warning after two 'near fatal' Heroin overdoses

Always sad of course when anyone ends up in hospital in any situation, but this situation is pure self-inflicted. I would like to know if these people start their druggy careers on a bit of a spliff at a party, say, listening to some music and 'chilling'.

9 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Always sad of course when anyone ends up in hospital in any situation, but this situation is pure self-inflicted. I would like to know if these people start their druggy careers on a bit of a spliff at a party, say, listening to some music and 'chilling'.

There seem to have been warnings about this dodgy/strong batch kicking about for a few weeks.  Lots of official and personal advisories for users to be carrying the anti-OD kits.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Barlow said:

No, not at all, the majority of people that I know with drug problems had terrible lives, bad company, bad parents, absolutely nothing good in their lives, let’s be honest, if your life is so ace why would you want to take heroin? It’s not that good so anyone who takes it really does have nothing worth living for. The “have some more to make yourself better” mentality astounds me, how is anyone that stupid? 
I had pethidine when I had my daughter 30 years ago, never been so sick in all my days, aside from the sick, it was really nice but on the scale of fun to pain and inconvenience, I don’t think I’d have more (ever). I won’t even have Co-codamol these days & ibuprofen gives me nightmares so I’m lucky to be healthy and not in pain, I know people that became addicted to drugs their doctor prescribed, I have sympathy for anyone with addictions… off for a quick game of solitaire …3 hours later 

It’s never simple though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit that the big druggies I know (and knew..) were much the opposite. We all have our problems of course and they are all relative. Some wanted to be rock stars and had the drugs and hellraising bit and I suppose the talent too, but just like Pearl the Singer, they never made it. Others just think it's so fooken cool to take drugs. The having a hard life bit then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I wonder do people who have been in a war zone, lost family to the war, seen horrors and I mean real horrors, lost home and everything else, etc, etc. Do majority of them become heroin addicts? I s'pose some do, but I wonder if they come to a drugs party on the streets of UK what they think of the reasons our druggies became druggies? I know some of them, the worst I have heard is "My Mum died and my life went down from there". That one was from a forty year old man on the streets of Leeds.

ETA just thinking, in fairness he could have been 14 when that happened, but even so, I bet he had never even heard of say, Gaza.

Edited by Barlow

9 hours ago, 2bees said:

No, not at all, the majority of people that I know with drug problems had terrible lives, bad company, bad parents, absolutely nothing good in their lives, let’s be honest, if your life is so ace why would you want to take heroin? It’s not that good so anyone who takes it really does have nothing worth living for. The “have some more to make yourself better” mentality astounds me, how is anyone that stupid? 
I had pethidine when I had my daughter 30 years ago, never been so sick in all my days, aside from the sick, it was really nice but on the scale of fun to pain and inconvenience, I don’t think I’d have more (ever). I won’t even have Co-codamol these days & ibuprofen gives me nightmares so I’m lucky to be healthy and not in pain, I know people that became addicted to drugs their doctor prescribed, I have sympathy for anyone with addictions… off for a quick game of solitaire …3 hours later 

It’s never simple though.

Wasn't there a trial run, years back in the UK where heroin addicts were given their requirements and then they went on with their day to day lives without having to find ways of paying for the drug? 

11 minutes ago, Sign in said:

Wasn't there a trial run, years back in the UK where heroin addicts were given their requirements and then they went on with their day to day lives without having to find ways of paying for the drug? 

Methadone is doled out at most Manx chemists to addicts on a daily basis. But you have to be so far down the line with heroin addiction that your life is already wrecked before you get it prescribed.

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

Interesting. Perhaps there should be a human equivalent of this, if that erm, doesn't sound a bit Nazi Germany-ish.

Maybe we're all part of such an experiment right now and we don't know it (which is a bit Douglas Adams-ish of course)

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Methadone is doled out at most Manx chemists to addicts on a daily basis. But you have to be so far down the line with heroin addiction that your life is already wrecked before you get it prescribed.

Maybe in an ideal world we all get smacked off our heads for breakfast every day.

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Methadone is doled out at most Manx chemists to addicts on a daily basis. But you have to be so far down the line with heroin addiction that your life is already wrecked before you get it prescribed

That’s the official prescribing guidance, is it?

• Haha 1