The violence of austerity

llap

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I thought 70 too.

Well seeing as you saw service in WW1 and are now about 120.

No. I can't see me living on the largesse seeing as the nearer I get to the benefits of old age, the further away they keep moving them. Luckily I won't starve or have to work for longer than I planned. Others are not so fortunate.

Life in the modern nation state does have a coercive element - if you don't pay your taxes, or even your Telly Licence you'll find the state moving to collect it's pound of flesh and if you try to stop them you'll learn pretty quickly what the term "the monopoly of violence" means.

But I don't think changing housing benefit is a violent act and to call it that is very very left wing.

Austerity Britain is a tough environment to live in.  Housing costs are through the roof, and salaries are stagnating.

But to compare our society to the 1930s, late 1940s, or 1970s and 80s is to show we are hugely more affluent.

I'd like to understand more about the use of food banks etc.

The ONS's spending surveys are pretty comprehensive.

People in the poorest 10% of households spend on average £40.40 per week on food - which is 17.3% of their total income.  They earn on average £12,143 per year.

What is happening in society that people are regularly using food banks?  The UK's Engel's Coefficient even for the poorest 10% of households means 82.7% of spending is going on non-food items.  Something quite catastrophic has to be happening with their other spending for them to be unable to reserve the 17.3% of income dedicated to food to food.

It is just a tragedy that too many people are so unable to look after themselves that they have to resort to food banks.  Anyone got any links as to what is happening.  The food bill for the poorest 10% of households is £2,100 per year.  A student nurse get £24,000 odd a year.

I'd really like to understand more about this issue as clearly something is happening with other spending or prioritization for food to be a problem, but that is what the headlines are full off.  Anyone got any links?

Good post China. This is the problem with today's limited attention spans. People will wring their hands and say "how terrible", but they do not look behind the headlines to see what is actually happening or to understand why so many people are coming of age woefully unprepared in the basic skills of adult life and at risk of ending up destitute. It is easier to blame "austerity" which in total amount of government spending actually amounts to very little. As I said earlier, it is the distribution of funds that is the problem. Too much spent on government sector itself and its interests.

Down on my manor we have lots of beggars. They have their pitches. They change like the guards at Buckingham Palace..

All is organised. I watch them. They are all well fed. They most of them have nice hair..Quite a few smoke tailor-mades as they beg and that must be £8 a packet..

The City Council has put up posters asking people not to give them money on the basis that they need help and if you pay them they are distanced from the help that is available. The Council says that the beggars are refusing accommodation probably because they would have to "come in" and be helped back to work.

Some of course do have mental health issues and the former institutions are mostly closed.

There are many places around the manor where free food is available. "Sanctus" is an all day feeding station helped by food from the stores. Several churches have lunches daily I can count five at least.

I have to admit that we get gifts where I live. Only one resident needs it and that is down to buying tobacco and drugs..Apparently the hippie generation is getting old but does not change its ways so we have a geriatric junkie on board.

Every Wednesday a church brings us all the goods Greggs the bakers were going to throw out. Five trays this week! I don't need it. The novelty has worn off! I do not know where it all goes! Mountains of baguettes, sarnies, pasties etc..Only one person here needs it.

We also get gifts of food from the Ebenezer Baptist chapel...Usually their harvest festival, plus bikkies, a calendar and Mark's Gospel at Xmas. Only one of us here needs it. You try and stop these gifts!

I used to freeze the pasties but I could not eat them quick enough so now don't bother...Mountains of cakes too! Who eats them? One bloke used to take the cakes down the pub and give them away!

I think that a lot of people do not know how to cook from basic ingredients and a lot of money is spent filling shopping trolleys with stuff in packets..I cook from basics and freeze the products in reusable plastic boxes so I have very little to recycle.

I actually save from my pensions as I have money left over..My pensions are roughly the same as benefits for a family of four.

Archived