The violence of austerity

llap

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, quilp said:

I've been catching up old chip. Was on 'manoeuvres' for a while...

Not all of them "scummy beggar's" are con merchants. Or were you massaging your conscience? Some of those lads living on the periphery of society are old planks, dontcha know...? 

Of course not all of the homeless are con merchants. But as Barrie points out, probably in less than a thousand words for a change, some are.

As I have posted before I tend to do "Crisis at Christmas" and that's a learning curve on the first outing I can tell you.

Why don't you, Tarne and The Woolster give it a go? It's very rewarding....

5 hours ago, woolley said:

I think you are confusing me with Spook - don't know whether to laugh or cry! - which is in itself pretty spooky seeing I was only asking if anyone here knew him IRL a little while ago. No. Spooky had God in a big way and I fear he is going to be awfully disappointed come the day. If it hasn't come already seeing as he is so conspicuous by his absence.

This is how I rather saw you as in the attached video except you would be 70...Still, when you think about you can just watch the video and imagine "the cast" speak with a Manx accent....Not much difference between Norfolk and Manxies really when you think about it!

5 hours ago, woolley said:

I think you are confusing me with Spook - don't know whether to laugh or cry! - which is in itself pretty spooky seeing I was only asking if anyone here knew him IRL a little while ago. No. Spooky had God in a big way and I fear he is going to be awfully disappointed come the day. If it hasn't come already seeing as he is so conspicuous by his absence.

Woolley! I am sorry had you down as Norfolk ("Norfolk do different")....But I have now found you on the Isle of Man with some of your associates...Click the link!..

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Am I glad to see you, Quilp. It's been a very lonely Guardian fuelled libfest around here lately. They have been bullying me incessantly. Do you know that Bazza accused me of being SEVENTY; and then that arse Tatlock said I have an IQ to match! A sensitive person could get very upset. Maybe have a melt down. Good job I don't go running to the mods over all of this abuse.............

Old PK on the other hand, he's not so bad really. He's just a sucker for a leftie hard luck story.

Ta woolley. Thing about old PK is, his heart's definitely in the right place. Can't fault that. And an honest poster to boot.

The virtue-signalling and repetitive doom and gloom nonsense from the wallflowers has had me lolling. You have the patience of a saint, old son, unlike myself.

Time to correct the balance and prick some pompous balloons... 

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Ta woolley. Thing about old PK is, his heart's definitely in the right place. Can't fault that. And an honest poster to boot.

The virtue-signalling and repetitive doom and gloom nonsense from the wallflowers has had me lolling. You have the patience of a saint, old son, unlike myself.

Time to correct the balance and prick some pompous balloons... 

Kind words indeed! Just hope I can live up to them....

Off to enjoy Nabucco, Tosca and maybe a third. Plus a trip to Venice for a trog around the lagoon on a water-bus. They are my favourite form of transport. They proceed with so much clanging and banging I'm convinced that there are guys down below who set to the hull with sledgehammers for effect. Marvellous stuff! Cheers!

1 hour ago, Tarne said:

You do know you aren't the only one who does charity work right? :P 

Don't be silly.

However you have made me realise that I'm the only one I know who works with the homeless.

P.K. how do you think these individuals can be helped to change their circumstances?

The saddest thing is seeing people, some young, some middle aged, a few old, thinking the most productive use of their minds and bodies is sitting on cardboard asking the thousands of people indifferently filing past them for some loose change.

I am totally flummoxed by it, but luckily have managed to keep myself employed, housed and away from addictive substances so the chasm between us is very wide.

My understanding is that the state and multiple charities are there ready to provide these people with help and support - I imagine the state is pretty impersonal and its offerings soulless and rundown; while charities have open committed people, but far fewer resources to help.

Clearly though too many people are finding themselves in circumstances where they think their only option is helplessness.

How to persuade them this isn't true?  

It is easy to claim it is evil selfish Tories, but I think you've said yourself you don't think the policies of the Corbynistas of this world help either.  What is the sandal wearing liberal's approach which you think can find the golden mean between these two extremes?

A lot of the beggars are frauds and get some sort of living not far away from a low wage job...As I said before, they most of them seem well fed and not like the old tramps with their dogs you used to see and who chose that life...

I was a doorman on an amusement arcade in the centre of Manchester and we had a beggar on the door who when he worked his pitch was coming in and cashing ten pounds and hour in change...The old tramps said these young ones were ruining their trade!

I lived out of two suitcases for 22 years and which I can only describe as character forming.. All my possessions in two bags basically..I mostly had jobs IOM and the NorthWest, Manchester, Salford, some time now and then on the dole and on training courses at two colleges.

Never had to street beg...But did once come within hours of it being homeless at 4 pm and finding a billet at 6pm...I still say that most of the begging is a lifestyle choice and on my manor it is lucrative..Of course some people have mental health issues as well and they are not being attended to.

4 hours ago, Chinahand said:

P.K. how do you think these individuals can be helped to change their circumstances?

The saddest thing is seeing people, some young, some middle aged, a few old, thinking the most productive use of their minds and bodies is sitting on cardboard asking the thousands of people indifferently filing past them for some loose change.

I am totally flummoxed by it, but luckily have managed to keep myself employed, housed and away from addictive substances so the chasm between us is very wide.

My understanding is that the state and multiple charities are there ready to provide these people with help and support - I imagine the state is pretty impersonal and its offerings soulless and rundown; while charities have open committed people, but far fewer resources to help.

Clearly though too many people are finding themselves in circumstances where they think their only option is helplessness.

How to persuade them this isn't true?  

It is easy to claim it is evil selfish Tories, but I think you've said yourself you don't think the policies of the Corbynistas of this world help either.  What is the sandal wearing liberal's approach which you think can find the golden mean between these two extremes?

Strange but true I've just packed my sandals. For info I won't have any truck with that Teva rubbish. Source are the footwear of choice for the discerning liberal....

Folks end up on the street for all sorts of reasons. Escaping a violent partner, kicked out due to drugs use, the tried and trusted institutionalised by eg prison, job loss followed by eviction, mental health issues and so forth. 

When chatting to these folks, as you do, a common theme is that when you're on your uppers you essentially become invisible. Basically they just drop off the event horizon never to be seen by the authorities ever again. Except for the Police Force of course.

If we make the leap that folks are always going to be made homeless, for whatever reason, then how can they be helped to re-integrate into the society that has essentially just let them drift down to the bottom? The obvious first step is to get a roof over their heads. And that's where it all falters right from the off. A lack of suitable accommodation where these folks can re-group, maybe find some self worth and esteem and give it another go. Nobody is going to build an Apart-Hotel lookalike that's going to be a constant drain on already savagely cut LA resources.

I can tell you this - "Care In The Community" was a crock of shit.....

On 06/08/2017 at 0:24 AM, P.K. said:

Why don't you, Tarne and The Woolster give it a go? It's very rewarding....

On 06/08/2017 at 9:29 AM, Tarne said:

You do know you aren't the only one who does charity work right? :P 

Indeed. Don't accept stereotypes, PK. Things are not always as "they" would have you believe. Some of us still create wealth, employ people, paying money into their bank accounts on a regular basis and we pay taxes for the services that society relies on. Not content with that some of us also give our time and expertise freely to the most desperate in society. We manage to care without having a screamingly liberal metropolitan outlook on life.

Archived